Let's learn the basics for robotics? With edX's "Embedded Systems - Shape The World"

Don’t quit! I’m sure you wont :wink:

Hi TitiMoby!

Well congratulations that you arrived to Lab5, and don’t worry, as I see in some forums I write, most of us get stuck on one or other Lab. That’s the way we learn: by confronting what we don’t know and learning from it.

Good job about the furniture and I hope to read from you soon about your progress on the course. Above all, have fun!

Thanks Photolong, you too!

Hi Photolong,

Thank you for your words, and as I saw in a new comment you wrote, you are doing well, so let’s keep going!

Great Tiva you ordered!

Hi 6677!

Well congratulations as you ordered a Tiva that is higher than the one we use right now. Yours has even an ethernet port, and that makes it in a new, better  division to do online-cloud projects…

I’m wandering whether you have in mind already some projects for this nice board :wink:

hello again sorry no update

hello again sorry no update recently life off the laptop last couple of weeks being rough had some family emergancys … sister not well and brother in law in a very serious accident and still critical so my concentration level just went down hill. trying to get back focused on course and getting there …

so lab11 another tough one for me … having to programm to send data over the uart both words and numbers … and as we were shown in tutorials how uart works and how to transfer numbers this part shouldnt be too hard … as we werent shown how to transfer words and its the first part of the lab found myself a bit confused

well after a week or so i figured out part one was to transfer words … and from reading some questions on the forum i figured out where to look for answers and finally last night figured out how to write a function to do this which worked … well almost … did too much and then got stuck in a loop which i couldnt break out of … took a break and looked at it this evening and realised i needed * yep a little pointer thingy was missing from one line in my code and after adding this part one of lab11 is complete yesss … going to take another break and look at part two tomorrow … part of which i have done as it had being covered in the toutorials just have to refine it to fit what they want done in the lab

again another interesting lab with enough problems in it to turn my hair a further shade of grey … but still enjoying the whole process and can only imagine what lies ahead in the final four labs

nice your nearly caught up

nice your nearly caught up on me now Franciscodr … looking forward to your veiws on lab10 … and to comparing our solutions 

many things…

Thanks Pthotolong,

Yes, it’s sometimes hard with so many things to do, but finally we cope with the whole thing until now :wink:

many things more…

Thanks Photolong,

Another hard week also Lab9 is a bit more complex. However I think we start to feel the skills we are gaining with this course, those help us to solve these new Labs. I hope it goes on the same way for next Labs :wink:

well happy to report iv

well happy to report iv finished lab11 and another 100marks … very tough lab if you dont have much coding experience … but am very happy to have managed to create code all by myself that accomplished the task … will also say im 100% sure if there was no debug option giveing you the opportunity to step into the code and find out whats going on and see how the code works line by line there is no way i would have being able to do lab11.

The debug feature is so amazing  … as seeing what was happening and what was going wrong i was able to create code piece by piece run it to see if it worked … change it if it wasnt doing what i wanted it to do … and eventually i got code wrote that worked …

it may not be the prettiest bit of code and im sure others could do the same with a lot less code but i have to admit im very proud of it lol lol 

anyway off to look at lab 12 and see what lies ahead of me 

PS why dosent Arduino have a debug feature …  i could imagine id learn more and write code if it had

Good about debugging!

Hi Photolong,

Long time without updating but with many things to do the course has to wait longer.

However I see you do progress and I’m happy. Also because I agree the Keil software has some very useful tools on debugging that make life much easier :wink:

I just finished Lab10 and I have to say it was harder than I expected. You can read my whole feedback above, but now I’m ready for Lab11, let’s see!

P.S.: I think it’s not the actual hardware but the tools that come with them what actually make people choose which platform they keep working on…

nice going on lab10 …
nice going on lab10 …
unfortunately for me things have being very tough of late … my older sister passed away a week a ago from cancer … and it has being a very tough time for my whole family … but as we are a very close family we will get through this together …
but as you can imagine its hard getting back into things and while im keeping busy and catching up on whats being going on on LMR site and other sites im invloved with … trying to get my head to focus on doing this course has not being possible yet … but hoping another few days and my head will get back the focus required to continue.

looking forward to your assessment of lab11 which was anothe interesting lab … lab12 which im on at the moment which involves interrupts is very tough and requires a lot to understand so under present circumstances proving impossible for me to give it the required attention needed but hopefully i will be able to get stuck back into it shortly … until then will just partipicate on the forum and spend a bit of time on the various forums i follow.

don’t worry…

Hi Photolong,

First sorry for the loss, I hope you and your beloved people can be as good as possible. Like always there are some important people in life then comes all the rest of things.

Besides, I’m finding Lab11 quite challenging because of the intense it’s in programming C. I want to do it well dn step by step, so I need more time to understand everything well, which takes time and full concentration together, hard to find these days with work and family as you explained too.

So I keep going and hopefuly I will have some “Aha” moments soon and solve this lab :wink:

See you arond whenever you can, it’s always good.

Ty Franciscodr …if your

Ty Franciscodr …

if your still having problems with lab11 as per the forum … post your code here and i will run it and see if we can figure it out together.  and when you get it sorted we can compare mine with yours as i feel mine is a lot different from the way you did yours and it would be interesting to see how we both sorted out this lab

thought id post my solution

thought id post my solution to the … void UART_ConvertUDec(unsigned long n) … Part of lab11 you could paste this into your programm and step through it if you wanted to see how it works … would like you to post your solution as id love to see other ways to acomplish this …

void UART_ConvertUDec(unsigned long n){

if(n > 9999)

{ UART_OutString("**** ");

}

else{

unsigned cnt=0;

unsigned char buffer[5];

unsigned char d;

buffer[0]=0x30;

buffer[1]=0x20;

buffer[2]=0x20;

buffer[3]=0x20;

buffer[4]=0x20;

buffer[0]=n;

while(n){

d=n%10;

n = n/10;

buffer[cnt]=d;

cnt++;

}

cnt=4;

while(cnt !=0){

d=buffer[cnt-1];

if ((d<0x20)&(d>0x00)){

d=d+0x30;

UART_OutChar (d);

}

if (d == 0x20){

UART_OutChar (d);

}

if (d ==0x00) {

d=d+0x30;

UART_OutChar (d);

}

cnt–;

}

UART_OutChar (buffer[4]);

}

}

Though id also mention lab12
Though id also mention lab12 agrrrrrrrgh this is also a hard one … learning about interrupts … and im finding it very difficult … finally managed to acomplish what i persume is the easy part … pressing the switch toggles a pin high and low then pressing the same switch again turns the pin low … coding this was for me so difficult and took me many many days but finally last night managed to get it right … now to work on the interrupt … lol took me so long to do the switch going to have to go back over and relearn about interrupts as iv forgotton what i learned lol lol …

thanks!

Hi Photolong!

Thank you for your tip, however I did it already and it worked fine. You can read my review above in the main article I have posted.

Now I’m reading Lab12… let’s see…

Things are getting complex as we follow up new chapters…

Hi Photolong,

I think so, things are getting harder as we go with the chapters. Interrupts are usually difficult stuff as it combines both software and hardware working together. I’m late three weeks already but I will finish at my own rithm.  However it’s about learing, not about finishing just one time at whichever price, isn’t it?

nice 1 finshed lab12 100
nice 1 finshed lab12 100 marks … lol coding the switch proved to be the hardest part … understanding how the interrupt worked was tricky and i didnt grasp it for ages but once i realised the code for the interrupt ran in the background from the start and only kicked in when the trigger was triggered then it got fairly easy … awkward part was i am used to single stepping through the programm and seeing how it works and fixing things that go wrong … so even though the coding of the switch was very tough i kept stepping through and changing code till i got it right … how ever with the interrupt its iniatlised at the start and when trigger is triggered it runs but you dont get to step into it and see whats happening so if you set it up wrong you cant figure out why or in my case interrupt was fine but the part that handles the trigger was wrong so it looked at first as though my interrupt wasnt working … but i restarted from scratch figured a few things out checked it and got it to trigger and then put back in my switch code inserted the trigger in right spots and it wroked.

so off now to look at lab13 …

lol wasnt a tip was showing

lol wasnt a tip was showing how i did it and was hoping you would post your code so i could see another way of doing it lol

Thanks! I have just finished Lab 13

And it was quite hard.

As my C language programming skills were basic I had to learn fast to cope with it. So I did it and now you can read my review and watch my videos above, do you like them? Well the music is not Hi-Fi nor a good composition but I think it’s a good proff of concept :wink:

yes i enjoy following your

yes i enjoy following your write up on the labs … delighted to see you passed lab13 …

me i having a bit of a disaster … had  a user profile failed logon on my laptop and could not access my laptop … had to logon through my wifes profile and create a new user and try a transfer my data from old profile to new profile …

lost access to my eamil account which i used for the course and lost access to the course … had to reregister for the course so lost all my marks for all the labs i completed so that was a bit of a disaster.

nearly back up and running again just have to download keil programmer again as i messed it up in the transfer from my old profile to my new profile …

so with everthing happening lately struggling with lab13 … main part is i cant figure out how to make the sine waves for the notes … will have to post on the forum looking for help on this … really want  to get lab13 and 14 done before the course finishes so its going to be tough going as i busy off my laptop at the moment … Daughters Communion is on Saturday and im busy around the house trying to get ready for it and trying to get laptop back to normal and move all important data like pictures and videos on to a spare external hard disc that i got a lend of … 

other than that all fine still have the files for the course with the code i wrote so thats great be a bit annoyed if i had lost them lol