Innerbreed's Animatronic Hawk Project + Owl

the independently rotating parts allow the head to shift side to side when performed with the controls. non of this will be seen as it will be inside the body. its the end result im after. if you just watch the head positions rather than the mechanicals its self it easier to see why.

“Flap” well no. i had no intention of adding wings in the first place so when i get time i will work on that part more. :wink:

I wondered if maybe those parts would be inside the body. That should work, I think!

…But you’ll need to flap in order to fly! (the hexapods can fly, really!)

Alan KM6VV

here is the new full body sculpture. i have ran out of sculpry clay so once i get some more i can continue sculpting it.
this is a first sculpt so once i get more i can build up the body more and also add the wings as they would be when opened. this will make the process of making a skin easier.
Size comparison:
if i continue to use the current mech, you can see i will need to make the shell a bit bigger
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/SAM_0046.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/SAM_0044.jpg

i also need to redesign the wings completely.
they are not sitting right on the body. the shoulder is too low. The elbow is to much round to the sides and also the whist is too high (like a vulture). i will need to make them further back too.

Best of friends… lol
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/SAM_0045.jpg

Yeah, I thought the wings looked a little different before. But comparing to a sculpted body makes it a little more obvious!

Looks good!

I have no talent in sculpting. I can work metal a little, 'tho.

Alan KM6VV

Maybe you could machine me some new, better wings! lol

Yeah, but I’d require a dimensioned drawing! No “natural” shapes, I’m afraid. good for steam engines, bad for animals!

Alan KM6VV

i have been thinking about this project and i have decided to not include the wing mechanism at this point. im just not skilled enough to make it all work. as i am branching into new areas (sculpturing, casting, molding, etc) i feel the project will benefit more if i just concentrate on what i set out to do originally.

I have stripped off the wing mech and have just started finalizing the body sculpture ready for casting.
This part will require me to make a brushed on Silicone mold over the sculpture. 3/4 layers will be enough for this.
Working Time : (40-60 Minutes) for each layer.
(12-24 Hours) later i will need cover that cast in a plaster so i have a nice strong, ridged cast.

from this i can de-mold (40-60 minutes), it and remove the sculpture ready for production of the polyurethane plastic resin cast.
Once the resin is cured (30mins) i can de-mold and then start dividing up the resin body into parts. eg the body, shoulders, head, and beak. (movable areas)
Then i will need to make another Silicone copy of the sculpture for the skin that will cover the movable areas of the resin cast. This should just slip over the resin shell.
Then i will “kindly” ask my wife to add the feathers. :smiling_imp:

i have already ordered the Glass eyeballs
eye1.JPG

I hope. all sounds good on paper.

My wife would ‘kindly’ add the feathers … once she had covered me in enough tar first

Just an up date nothing fancy, on the hawk project. here i am testing the new glass eyes.
new eyes.JPG

The glass eye distortion effect applies a concave or convex spherical distortion to the iris layer within the glass. making the eyes seem to follow you about.
Even a short video to show it. :wink:

Just another test.

… this will be scary …

Completed Sculpture:

Silicone Rubber Cast: (mold phase 1)

Plaster Cast: (mold phase 2)

Once this half has dried i will start the Plastering the other side* (mold phase 3)*

after it has cured, i can Demold and extract the Sculpture, and then make the Polyurethane Plastic Core from the Molds.

GETTING CLOSE NOW… :smiley:

Awesome Jonny!
Great to see it coming together :smiley:

Or coming apart. :laughing:
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/SAM_0094.jpg
So far everything has worked perfectly. The sculpture came out completely intact!
I would have liked to make the silicone and plaster molds thinker (more layers) but it costs.

I will allow the molds to dry for another 24hours before i cast the core.

The detail on this silicone is unbelievable. i even imprinted my initials (very small) to the tree stump of the sculpture.
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/SAM_0096.jpg

Nice Jonny!

Upon first glance it looked like the Hawk was breaking out of an egg.

But you got the initials backward! ;>)

Alan KM6VV
OK, I know that they’re reversed for the mold…

“oh noooo” :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow…

Your project is realy going in the right way…!
I like your amazing skill.

With a project that complex, you will not have time to help me… lol

yeah thats right… evil is born. not sure i like the scary remark. its supposed to be life like. :wink:

no worries, i even have time for cl3aning mY ke!yb0a’rd… LOL.

Incredible… Breathlessly waiting for more pictures.

dj

thank you. Well i have rejoined the hallow molds together and had to brush in some silicone along the pre made tear joint i made while in the demolding process. the tear joint made the demolding process easier. it also helped to demold with out destroying the sculpture.

anyway, thats done so tomorrow afternoon i will make the first body core. fingers crossed. its always trial and error at this point 'when it comes to mixing up the right amount so i get the right wall thinness.

ill update again tomorrow.
:wink:

oh and iv also been putting together a full Stop Motion video of these steps and the whole project overall.