How to make your first robot

**hard control **

Nice job ! There is no way to control the servo and a speaker ?

See this post for using a

See this post for using a servo and a speaker with the 28X board:

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/34539

help

i have built the robot but the proggraming isn’t working

RC radio control interface?

I have several RC multi channel radios and receivers and am wondering how to interface an RC receiver to be able to remotely control the robot? I am looking for ‘go forward’, ‘go reverse’, ‘go left’, ‘go right’ commands at a slow speed, for say 2 seconds. The output of the receiver can go to a servo or a switch (on-off). Without going into complexities of PWM , is it possible to just detect a pulse on one of the say 4 input pins, to then enable the FWD, REV, RGHT, LFT commands?

Motors not working

I’m very close to getting my first working version, but have got stuck right at the end. Everything, including the sensors and servo, have been working fine, but the motors are not. If I enter

high 4
low 5

Then one of the wheels turns as expected. But if I do

low 4
high 5

The wheel turns in the other direction, but only really slowly. And the Motor Driver IC becomes very hot. If I try the same with 6 and 7, the other wheel doesn’t turn at all, but the Motor Driver IC still gets very hot. If anyone can tell me from this description what exactly is going wrong with my robot, I’d be very grateful. Thanks!

Delivery=$100

Hey I am very interested in robotics and I would love to try this project but I live in England so the delivery is $100 is there any English sites you reccomend?

technobotsonline.com

YAY my first post and I can help someone :slight_smile:

I live in England also, and I was asking the exact same question about 2 weeks ago. I discovered http://www.technobotsonline.com/ which is an english site based in Totton (near Southampton) and has everything you need and much much more. I placed an order yesterday for all the parts needed (and a couple of extras to play with) for my start here robot yesterday and it was £74.94 delivered :slight_smile:

Here is my shopping list, with part numbers so you dont have to spend hours searching for the right part like I did (prices below are ex delivery + ex VAT)

JST PH 2mm 3-Pin Female Cable 30cm

Part No.: 1064-103 £0.97 1 £0.97

Jumper Wires Premium 6" F/F Pack of 10

Part No.: 1133-016 £3.11 1 £3.11

Solarbotics GM9 90 Degree

Part No.: 1451-006 £4.27 2 £8.54

DIL 8-Resistor Network 330R

Part No.: 2004-553 £0.44 1 £0.44

3mm LED White 120mcd

Part No.: 2110-303 £0.16 2 £0.32

NORPS12 Light Dependent Resistor ORP12

Part No.: 2110-601 £0.87 1 £0.87

Pololu Distance Sensor Sharp GP2Y0A21YK0F

Part No.: 2110-642 £9.86 1 £9.86

Motor Driver L293D

Part No.: 2251-010 £2.59 1 £2.59

Piezo Transducer Bare 20x0.42mm

Part No.: 2400-106 £0.29 1 £0.29

2.54mm PCB Jumper Link Black

Part No.: 2700-070 £0.06 3 £0.18

Gold Plated PCB Header 2.54mm 10-way

Part No.: 2700-084 £0.07 1 £0.07

Saturn S010 Standard Servo

Part No.: 3221-030 £4.89 1 £4.89

Picaxe-28X1 Starter Pack

Part No.: 3803-002 £17.10 1 £17.10

PICAXE Download Lead

Part No.: 3803-150 £2.70 1 £2.70

Plastic Ball Caster Pack of 3

Part No.: 4262-100 £1.57 1 £1.57

5mm x A4 Foamboard

Part No.: 4442-001 £0.87 1 £0.87

Solarbotics GMPW Plastic Red Wheel

Part No.: 4611-001 £2.81 2 £5.62

technobotsonline.com

Thank you veeeerrrrryyyyyy much!!! This will help allloooot!!!

Q’s

If you don’t mind I have a few questions about the stuff on the website:

Is the PICAXE-28X1 IC microprosessor in the PICAXE Starter Kit? and

What did you do with the extras, can you post a picture?

Thank you

Yes the microprocessor is

Yes the microprocessor is included in the starter kit. The download cable is not so you need to make sure to order that separately. 

I havent even built my bot yet, I am still experimenting! I am still very much learning about all this, but I intend to use the LEDs to make flashing lights etc, the piezo element to make sound/beeps/play tunes, the LDR to make the bot do thinigs depending on how light/dark it is, and the foamboard to build a chassis for the bot

(PS, I have since discovered that you need to get a 10k resistor to use with the LDR, which i just picked up from Maplins for 29p) 

What to do?

I am wondering what I can do with this robot. Are there any other thing that I could program to do? What other sensors can I use? Thanks :slight_smile:

I think you should be able

I think you should be able to find a lot of inspiration by looking at

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/view/node/list/robot

You can build anything after doing this project :slight_smile:

Thanks

Thank you!

What, exactly, got updated?

What, exactly, got updated?

**Great project **

Hi.

Just finished the starter robot.  It works great.  The hardest part was finding the words to register and post comments (150talented).

The only problem I had was not realizing the wires from the Sharp had to be cut and swapped.  Once that was completed, she worked fine.

I’m not a coder, but I’m looking forward to playing around with it and adding the lights.

Great site!

**Great project **

Hi.

Just finished the starter robot.  It works great.  The hardest part was finding the words to register and post comments (150talented).

The only problem I had was not realizing the wires from the Sharp had to be cut and swapped.  Once that was completed, she worked fine.

I’m not a coder, but I’m looking forward to playing around with it and adding the lights.

Great site!

Thank you

Thank you for showing this. My board came with a chip in place and these 2. I had to the remove the one that was preplace in there and match the above placement and viola, it worked. Thanks.

It isn’t supposed to be easy

It isn’t supposed to be easy to register, that way spam bots can’t get in, Please delete the answer from your post if you feel so inclined.

what can i add to this

what can i add to this robot?  , because the only thing that he do is walking !! 

In U.K.
The warehouse of picaxe is in U.K.