How to Make a Drone / UAV - Lesson 4: Flight Controller

@madhusudhan There’s actually quite a lot of coding which goes into making a multirotor UAV work - it’s best to start with a commercial flight controller which has existing code, then learn from there.

what can be the overall cost for making it .

@shivesh tripathi The cost of making a custom UAV can vary significantly. Most start at around $100 USD (without the controller) and up.

how I can calculate the motor thrust force

@mohamed Although we do not go into it here, there are online tools which help you calculate thrust given a motor + propeller combo. Ex: http://www.drivecalc.de/

thnx for all the information. it is really very helpful.
wher can I find program for atmega 2560 as flight controller.

@fadte That would likely be from MultiWii; you would need to then edit the code to use whichever sensors apply to your project.

Helpful information !
Is there a way to eliminate ESC and have a connection made between the Power distribution board, flight controller and Motors ?

Your tutorials are excellent. Am really happy to be reading this.

Contents are awesome.
Mahesh

@Rishika Without the ESC, you cannot control the speed of the motor.

Informative article…
i am plan on building a quadcopter from scratches…i refered few sites and selected the components…
for building a flight controller …i ll b using mpu-6050 and arduino uno…
bt apart from all these stuff…am currently focusing on how to make a medium range remote controller for the copter…could you help me by suggesting on hw to make a transmitter n receiver part…thanks in advance

@Metphor Unfortunately creating (designing and producing) a custom transmitter & receiver are beyond the scope of this series of articles. The approach we suggest in this series is to purchase an existing transmitter / receiver.

Hi sir
I want to use drone to spread wifi waht is your sugestion ?! There is no any base station to get wifi i want providing wifi in desert using drone please if u can help me
Thank you

@John You might consider a balloon rather than a powered drone.

thank you for your fast reply…
i was wondering…is it possible to reuse the rc controller of car…and use it for quadcopter…?
if ys, is it possible to increase its range …?

@Metphor If the controller is integrated, then no. If it’s a separate system (RC transmitter and normal RC receiver), then there is a chance it can be reused. We cannot suggest any specific methods to increase its range.

Am in Africa ,I will like to build a bigger one to use it for advertisement, please I need your help.thank you.

@iSAAC If you plan to design and build one yourself, try following the tutorial here. If you’re entirely new to UAVs, you might consider a drone kit to start off.

Sir, which flight controller should be used for hexacopter and how to communicate with that hexacopter from base station over radio frequency?