How to Make a Drone / UAV – Lesson 3: Propulsion

@Bizby The equations for thrust for a propeller mounted on an airplane are the same as those for a multirotor UAV.

sir
I want to know can phone camera be connected to the drone if yes please can you tell me the materials for connecting phone camera or camera to it

@Amey Ganore Certain cameras like the GoPro are able to send video wirelessly (WiFi) to smart phones. You need to download the app.

Hello, first of all thanks for the post, is very helpfull for beginers like me. Can you explain me this sentences please?, i dont know if a couldnt undestand it or in the second “ESC” should be “BEC”. “In a multi-rotor, you need to connect four or more ESCs to the flight controller, but only one ESC is needed, and having power coming from multiple sources all being fed to the same lines can potentially cause issues”.

best content for beginners…

i was interested in learning more about the micro pancake motors. or “penny motors” can these be put on quadcopters, and do they make brushless pancake motors that are doule shafted? or even a “double shafted brushless inrunner”?

@Tomas You are entirely correct and we have changed the sentence.

@rob it’s certainly possible; most tend to use brushed DC motors for small UAVs simply for the $ savings. BLDC pancake motors are certainly preferable.

I bought a bldc motor having specification- Biggest Thrust (g/s) - 1200/4
What does it mean?

@Arvind Kukreti normal conventions would mean g/s translates to grams per second, whereas the normal unit for thrust is a force (g, Kg, N, oz, lbs etc). Can you indicate where you found these units?

coleman can we made a cheap drone with high feature…

Hi,
I’m an aeronautical engineering undergraduate designing a multicopter for my final year project.
The multicopter should be capable of:
Lifting a 60kg payload
Travelling a distance of 50m
Flight time sufficient to cover required distance.
I’ve selected KDE’s strongest motor and ESC. However the current rating of the recommended ESC is lower than the current rating for the motor.
The ESC is recommended by the manufacturer, however are they really compatible? Would the system work?
Furthermore which battery would you recommend?

@■■■■■■■ Certainly, but the cheaper you get, the more you will have to do (electronics and programming). It all comes down to your abilities.

@Kamal It may be that they never expect the motor to reach max current. Normally we would suggest the ESC be able to provide more current than the motor, but with such a large UAV, the ESC they suggest may be the largest they were able to find and test. In terms of the battery, we can only suggest LiPo, but we don’t have anything large enough for a 60Kg UAV. We suggest not purchasing any parts until you have worked out if they will all be compatible, including the battery.

This tutorial was really helpful, but i have the same question as Mr. Arvind. I came across this motor with biggest thrust being specifies as 1200/4. Can you help me with what those specifications mean
Here is the link : amazon.in/gp/product/B00MTHGH1S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2
Will 4 such motors be able to lift weight of about 2.5kgs (Quadcopter + payload) and will 2200mah 20c battery suffice. Will arduino be good controller for the same

@Varun Kumthekar Honestly don’t know what those units are. Try contacting the seller. If you want to program the Arduino entirely yourself, that will take quite a lot of time.

Hi I am thinking about make chinook and I need some advice on how to to like what motors to buy I would like it to carry about 2.5-1.5 kg in pay load and a about 45-50cm long so I know I will need to get two brushless Motors and servos to run the hatch a the back ad battery and receivers and remote but do you have any tips on were to get them from and how to build the frame thanks please email

Dis is so good and thoroughly detailed but still I would like to know how to calculate the thrust, based on the kv ratings and the propeller size. With this I would be able to calculate acurately the total thrust of my four propellers. Thanks man

@Ethan Not many flight controllers allow for a chinook design because each propeller requires more than just one motor (i.e. is not “simple”). A 2.5Kg payload is quite impressive, so your rotors (and corresponding motors) will likely be quite large. You’re back in the realm of normal RC rather than drones.

@Ayo We may create a tool in the future, but for now, take a look online and there are quite a few free websites which will allow you to do exactly what you describe.