How Do I Interpret DC Motor Specifications?

Sir can u plz help me in deciding a power input of 2 dc motor… actually i made a Rc car. Which is not running good under load. M uasing 9v battery to drive 2 dc motors

@Ravi Shanker That really depends on the motor, but if it’s rated at 0.5 horsepower, then that’s the rated continuous power output.

@Taha A 9V alkaline or NiMh battery is not useful for powering a mobile robot; you need a battery pack whose voltage is similar to that of the rated voltage of your motors, and then choose a capacity which will help the robot last long enough between charges.

Hi Coleman,
I want to bench test a small 12V elec motor/gearbox combo to see if it is working condition. I have been given the following values by the manufacturer
Nominal current (max. continuous current) 0.299 A
Stall current 2.24 A
No load current 23 mA
The lowest 12V power supply I have on hand right now is 410mA. I also have a 1A and 2A power supply available. Would this 410mA power supply be okay to test the motor or would it burn it out? Cheers

@Sam 0.41A is “ok” if the motor will consume only around 0.3A under load. A 2A supply is much better. Note that the motor will only consume as much as it needs and the power supply will only provide as much as is demanded… up to the max current rating.

hi coleman
i want to build a device that Interpret DC Motor Specifications for me specially motors under 0.5 hp and i dont know where to begin and i will be grateful if u can give me some pointers and help ty

@kiarash What input would a user enter, and what output would the tool provide?

the site is so intresting ,what is the RPM of a winch motor

@kalif nico It would be in the specs of the motor. Take a look online at a few commercial winch motors to get an average RPM.

please sir, i want to select a 12V DC motor for an electric lawn mower. please can u help me in selecting the motor ratings.

@Linus That is the point of this tool - please enter the information you know or guess.

i have small 12v dc motor, but the current and torque rating is not mentioned, please let me now how to calculate current rating at no load ?

I want to generate power of 2. 5kw, sir which dc motor I should use and what should be the specification of the dc motor. I shall be glad if you respond to this.

@yashwant We are not aware of any “easy” way - you’ll need to develop a torque - current curve, as well as an RPM - voltage curve based on testing.

@Banji O. I “Power” relates to voltage and current; you normally choose a motor not based on power, but rather on torque, nominal voltage and RPM.

Hi.

I have a motor which is 3V and 5RPM.
My question is related to TORQUE. is it associated to voltage?

Fo example using it with 3V or 5V does that change the torque (N*m) ?

thank you

@juliano The torque is somewhat affected by voltage, but not as significantly as gearing. Normally you should choose a gear motor based on torque, nominal voltage and RPM. Increasing from 3-5V would increase the RPM: over a range of voltages, the relationship between RPM and voltage is linear, and the relationship is provided as a value “Kv”. The relationship for torque is “Kt” and relates to current.

How can identify a motor, is it DC motor or AC motor, where specification plate is not available ???

@Nasir The application / power supply can give you a good idea - is it battery operated? If so, it’s likely DC. Does it use a wall adapter which converts AC to DC? If so, then it’s likely DC. Does it have 2 wires? Most DC motors have two wires (would be another hint). Is it used in an industrial application (for example on a large machine)? It might be AC… so further research needed.

If I am using a motor at the ‘rated torque’, which is stated on the specification sheet as half the stall torque, how can I run this intermittently, and how many cycles will it run (obviously I have no thermal information or windings info)? Can this be said that if you are running it at the ‘rated load’ that you can run it continuously, and intermittent will also be fine?