Hormes all terrain robot

that, my friend, is an idea

that, my friend, is an idea which we will apply to one which requires clearing the garage out enough to make room ;D

Nice

Wow, really nice

My son and I are in the process of building what seems to be very similar to your build. Almost same kind of wheels. We plan on using one or two batteries from a car, and will end up with a very heavy robot.

For control we are quite far down the line with an Arduino + Raspberry Pi setup, where the Rpi is setup as a LAMP and with 3G connectivity. Control is via a web page, but algorithms for autonomous actions is under way. The Arduino is handling motorcontrol and inputs from GPS, sensors, compass etc.

We are on a budget, so for motors we are using two wipermotors from a truck (24V), but they have quite a bit of tourqe at 12V too. Right now we are struggling with the connection of gears to the wheel hub, and your solutions gives inspiration - thanks. If it is possible I would love to see more pics of the whole drivetrain.

My question is. Have you tried yours with a heavier load. Would it be possible for you to make a video of how it would perform with the load of two ordinary 12V 60Ah batteries from a car (or similar). I am very curious.

/Niels

Can’t argue with that!

…it’s the unending mantra of my shop, seemingly…LOL.

More weight?

Sounds like you and your boy have the software portion of this nailed down pretty good! I’ve always been more inclined towards the hardware stuff, I’d be glad to offer whatever insight I can.

I can tell you that 2 of these motors (1 on a side) is fairly standard for robots that weigh nearly 3 times as much (~140lbs). FRC teams that want more torque simply add an extra motor per side. If you leave the wipermotors on the wormgear drive, be ready for a crawler.

There’s not much to the drivetrain- that’s the beauty of it, but I can take a few pictures of it with the wheels taken off, if that’s what you want to get a good look at. I’m also reworking the wiring for the control system, expect a picture of that at some point, too.

I look forward to seeing your project come together, sounds like a fun one!

Motor

Nice job

This is a great build!!! I am very inclined to build a similar platorm as an autonomous robot to offroad environments. Do you happen to know a similar dc motor that can accept an incremental encoder, I am working with robot mapping and the localization process requires encoder information.

the gearboxes are able to
the gearboxes are able to accept an Encoder, also available from Andymark, if i recall correctly.