Help Request RE: Some Input Please on the RB-Dfr-222 Step-Down Regulator

Hi All,

I have repaired a discarded Solar Panel that puts out 18VDC at about 1Amp. It has 2 banks of solar cells each outputting 9VDC each bank protected by a large Diode. The current configuration is wired in series to product 18VDC (maximum voltage under full sun and panel surface perpendicular to the sun is 20VDC).

My question is: Can I use a RB-Dfr-222 to reduce the Voltage output to 6V and use a capacitor across the Solar Panel’s Output Terminals to compensate for voltage fluctuations due to clouds, etc.? Or is a capacitor even required?

If a capacitor is required for my specified use, then what value and type would be appropriate?

I want to use this Solar Panel in various projects which include robotic applications but for the time being, only with daytime projects which do not require charging batteries for no-sun use.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Tobar8th

1 Like

Hi @tobar8th !

You should be able to use it, according to your power and voltage needs.

RB-Dfr-222 already has installed capacitors for input and output fluctuations.
See more here:

Hi ,

Thank you for the information!

Best Regards,
Tobar8th

1 Like

You are welcome @tobar8th

Hi ,

Have you seen this voltage regulator? It has a LED Readout Incorporated and seems to be a nice little package comparable to RB-Dfr-222.

The only reason that I have not yet purchased the RB-Dfr-222 is because I want to gather a $75 order to avoid $15+ shipping.

Thanks!
Tobar8th
[/quote]

1 Like

It is nice that it has that seven-segment display :slight_smile:

Is it from RobotShop?

No, I got this one off eBay and it can be found at a few online and catalog electronics distributors. It just arrived and I am very pleased.

I tested it with a fresh 9V battery for Input and adjusted Output for 5V. I was surprised that when I increased the Input to a 12 cell AA (1.5V each) pack the Output remained 5V. I would have thought that I would have needed to adjust the Output due to the Input doubling.

1 Like