Ground contact sensors

Hello Matt,

I’ll be honest, I never was able to watch the videos from your site for a long time. I guess my work PC didn’t have the corect version of the player thingy… However I checked them out from my home PC and wow it’s pretty cool! I think the 5 down 1 up walking gait is the only way to do it though. A tripod gait would require pressure sensors. It’s a very cool implementation you have there. I must make my robots be able to act like that. :smiley:

Here is another aproach I want to look into. I think it would be possible to do this using an I/O pin for each leg sensor (6) and only one analog input. Each voltage divider would share the top (connected to 5vdc) resistor, the tap, would go to the A to D input and all of the sensors would go from the the tap to the I/O pin. So to enable one leg sensor you take that I/O pin low and leave the others as high impedance. As long as you only take one of the 6 I/O pins low at a time it should work. :smiley: This should work with the Bot Board, but not sure about the SSC-32. I don’t think the outputs can be made high impedance…

on Jim’s pressure sensor, when it is attached how much of the tubing is left exposed? that is where I will mount my leg peice… (see Cad software of general discussion)

A random idea, of the kind that leads to either innovation or insurance claims…
Could the HUB-08 be modified to accept one of those flat disc sensors? This could measure force along the length of a tube as needed for legs, but also turn the hub connector into a bump sensor of sorts easily mounted anywhere you need it on a SES bot.
Maybe 2 rubber washers sandwiching the sensor and mounted between the hub connector and whatever you are mounting it to? You’d need slightly longer screws but this would let you tune the base pressure along the sensor with the screws.

You can actually handle reading many analog inputs with a single ADC by adding a bit of standard logic to select the input you want to read, read the value, select the next input, read, etc. This method works well for up to 16 analog inputs and should provide adaquate speed for robotics work such as we do. I belive the correct electronics term for this is called multiplexing.

The input selection could even be handled automatically by a simple binary counter. There are 1 of 8 and 1 of 16 decoders/selectors available in standard TTL packages. The microcontroller could actually clock the counter by pulsing an output pin connected to the clock input of the counter.

Hi,
I have a question about software for contact sensors…

I use basic atom PRO 28 with ABB and SSC-32 for servos…

if I move one leg at the time I can handle the sensors, I read it and stop moving the leg while I have the value I want.
but for making the robot walk isn’t good, it’s too slow move 1 leg at the time.

Any ideas for a sw that can make move 3 legs at the same time?

cause if I send the command to ssc-32 I can’t stop the legs while the leg touch the terrain…

sorry for my englis :slight_smile:

thanks!
bye bye
Janine