Giger - Custom Humanoid

Yeah but they’re not scaled correctly yet…

@ SN96- Yup, I designed those while checking a picture of the Melissa “Merissahando”. Solid design all around, so I just free-handed one based on the architecture.

I did the same thing and made it SES compatible. It proved to be harder than I thought. The tough part was finding available material that would work at the proper scale. For example: finding small enough “U” channel that would fit the plastic ties, finding screws that would be small enough, and the right length to work with the design. I don’t want to custom make the fingers from sheet metal and have to bend each link nor do I want to machine each link out of billet either, so I came up with a design that might be workable. For the finger joints, small stainless steel tubes cut to length using small SES screws (2/56) which are all over the place can easily be used for the finger joints.

Replaced the claws with some grippers. Tons of progress on the walking gaits, I’ll have some video of the walking gait up shortly. High res pics available in my Gallery.

Wow! :open_mouth:

I love the close up pictures, very nice. Great job on the hands. Every detail are very impressive, excellent work Tyberius!

Can’t wait to see him walk!

BTW: What kind of light source are you using when taking the photos?

Wow, this is my favorite biped. This thing is so well assembled.

The photos are not touched up, we were just using the some fluorescent lights we had handy. I know the white balance is off, but I liked the pictures so decided to put em up anyway. They’ll get touched up before they go in the upcoming Robot article :wink:

What camera was used? It takes really nice close-ups.

I think it’s a Sony Cybershot, just using the macro setting. Nothing too fancy, just a brand new $200 camera. Those are ‘raw’ pictures though without any touch up, I’ll be fixing them in a bit.

Yeah, I saw some samples from Adrenalynn, and she did a great job. You know, fluorescent is a camera/photographers nightmare :imp: , almost impossible to get correct WB.

Can’t wait to read you next article, great work on that too Tyberius! Very inspiring.

VERY rough walking gait, but I promised to deliver some video. It still needs a lot of optimization; bezier curves aren’t adjusted at all, speed needs to be adjusted, and arm swing needs to be integrated. It’s very rough, very jerky right now, this is just the first stable gait revision, current revision isnt completely stable and thus not shown.

youtube.com/watch?v=_DJzYg1P6VE

Hi Tyberius,

I’ve been following Giger for since the start. Amazing work! I love all the little details you’ve put in to this. The design is really looking robust. But then agian, it really have to with those huge servo’s of yours. :smiley:

I’m pretty sure you’ll get this fella up and running pretty smooth!

Xan

You are making great progress on Giger. It was really great to see it move and I have no doubt that you will make the moves work really smoothly.

Again great work!
Kurt

Awesome to see all those beefy servos running!

Great to hear you are doing some progress. The last part was a little suprise, almost a bit scary and cool 8)

Keep up the great work Tyberius!

Thanks guys!

Yeah the servos are surprisingly quick- which is why I included that little bit at the end. I’ll post an updated video of the walking once it’s ready.

That video was cool. The servos are very quiet. I didn’t hear the typical “ZZzzzzzip” noise associated with servos that move at high speeds.

Here’s some more progress. I’m demonstrating torso pan/tilt while walking in this video, gait still needs some work but is made more unstable by the torso moving around during the walk sequence.

Most impressive… You have done well young one!

That thing is awesome. I would love to see it in a Robo One competition. It’s got the power to body slam other bots. 8)

New upgrades! Giger currently uses 10x EX-106+, 6x RX-64s, and 8x RX-28s for a total of 24 DOF.

This is about 2 hours of work after final configuration as a result of the new upgrades. All 10 main leg servos have been upgraded to EX-106+ Dynamixels, so my previous walking gait progress was entirely erased. All new custom brackets used in the legs and feet, as well as new elbow/shoulder brackets and arm extensions. Brackets were designed in Autodesk Inventor 2008 and machined by Rapid Sheet Metal: rapidsheetmetal.com (they’re too big/too much of a hassle to bend in-house)

Keep in mind; I have this gait tuned to a very slow rate so that I can work on the balance and COG shifting correctly, then it can be sped up to a more realistic, useful speed.

Video:

Walking gait is slightly faster than the first video, still have some work to do on it before the competition. Pretty much all good to go, just need to secure my target panels with velcro and spend the rest of my time working on the gait and aiming.