Electrostatic Discharge

Oversimplified

Of course, you’re correct in that stuff which is electrically isolated from the faraday cage which surrounds it, is protected.

However, if our friend above places an electronic component in a wrap of alu foil, as I think he’s suggesting, it is in electrical contact with it and therefore in electrical contact with the world outside it. This is NOT how a Faraday cage works. For a Farady cage to work, the contents must be electrically isolated from the cage. If you just wrap the component in ally foil, then you’re just creating an ignorant big antenna for it!

The discussion above explains the use of insulative, isolative and dissipative materials at a level approriate for the audience here. In fact, it’s probably already too detailed. Most folk seem to ignore the advice and then wonder why theirrobots don’t work.

Do they, though?

Have you ever measured the resistivity of one of those silvered bags? I frightened myself with this little experiment!

Even worse, try the pink coloured ones! They have virtually no conductive properties at all.

That’s what I believed
One year ago (minus a day). I too wised up since.

Wow!

True - I hadn’t spotted that!

Does ESD depend on

Does ESD depend on atmospheric humidity or other geographic conditions? I live near the coast, and I’ve not had a problem (so far) with handling chips, so am assuming a hot humid place doesn’t allow charge to build up… ?

Air temperature and pressure

Air temperature and pressure have a small effect on static charge, but high humidity noticeably dampens static electricity, causing it to drain away more quickly. All the extra moisture in the air bounces around and carries away the extra charge before it can build up to a significant level.