Dfrobotshop rover with microbit

Hi I was wondering if it would be possible to connect a BBC microbit to the rover and then have another microbit as a controller to make the dfrobotshop rover move.

It’s important to know that the DFRobotShop Rover includes an onboard, programmable ATMega chip, meaning a second microcontroller is not really necessary. Adding a Micro:Bit would mean having to program both the Micro:Bit and the rover, which in most cases might be overkill. You can certainly use a Micro:Bit as a controller, though we’re not aware of any wireless add-on modules for the Micro:Bit. We do offer controller add-ons though:
robotshop.com/en/waveshare- … robit.html

robotshop.com/en/elecfreaks … robit.html

Note that you can program the DFRobotShop Rover to accept commands sent to it from another Micro:Bit, or from a computer.

An alternative might be using the following:
robotshop.com/en/elecfreaks … robit.html
with:
robotshop.com/en/dfrobotsho … s-kit.html
or
robotshop.com/en/mini-robot … s-kit.html

Note that you’d need to change the motors to 6V versions:
robotshop.com/en/brushed-dc … 00rpm.html

The question then really becomes how one Micro:Bit will communicate with the other (ideally wirelessly). You’d need a wireless device connected to the Tx and Rx lines of each (a bit of custom wiring and code).

so would I need a Bluetooth module?

If you want wireless communication, you would need either a Bluetooth, RF or other wireless device.
The issue with Bluetooth is that you ideally need one “master” and one “slave”. The “master” is normally a computer, tablet or smart phone.
If you want Micro:bit to Micro:bit, RF is easiest:
robotshop.com/en/general-rf … metry.html

Hello,

I would like a program for a DFRobot Rover to make it autonomous or avoid collisions.

I have loaded programs that control the Rover from a keyboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the Rover was functioning autonomously but I lost the program.

I was given the Rover

It’s absolutely possible to program the rover for autonomy, but the code depends entirely on the sensors you use, which is why there is no “standard” code which you can upload which will just “work” unless you have an identical setup. Do you have any sensors or other parts to use? If it’s just the Basic rover, you can program predefined motion, but it cannot really react to its environment.

Thanks so much for your reply!

I have 2 rovers,

Rover 1 has a SHARP 2Y0A21 F 49 sensor for collision avoidance.
Rover 2 has one SHARP 2Y0A21 F 49 for collision avoidance and one SHARP 2Y0A21 F 46 this one looks like it would track a line on the floor?

I have bought a beginners kit from DFROBOTSHOP with 15 projects, I really want to better understand how to write programs or sketches.

Could you suggest a way I could learn how to write programs,

I am just getting started with the beginners kit I bought, it has programs but I don’t know if they will talk about adding sensors etc.

I have access to a 3D printer, so I thought I would make the robotic arm below.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1136876

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks so much!!

You can certainly use the Sharp for distance measuring and object avoidance. If you angle it downward, you can even write code to detect walls and drops (like the edge of a desk). In regard to learning how to use the Arduino programming language, there is no shortage of online tutorials and books, as well as printed books and more. It’s a bit dated, but still valid (9 lesson series):

You could possibly use a sharp IR sensor to track a line, but it’s really best to have at least three sensors, since only one sensor doesn’t tell you which side it’s slipped off - it just tells you “line” or “no line”.

Regarding the arm, why not? Go for it!