Control your motors with L293D

The SN754410 is pin
The SN754410 is pin compatible with the L293D, yes. But not functionally compatible. It’s the equivalent of an L293, not an L293D, since it doesn’t have clamp diodes built in.

Hi! Glad you like it!! :)I

Hi! Glad you like it!! :slight_smile:
I only have experience with Arduino, so I cannot compare it with other microcontrollers.

I know there is a comparison sheet somewhere, but can´t find it right now.

Hi! thanks!! It´s good
Hi! thanks!!
It´s good to know this works better than the polulu controller :smiley:

It does have diodes as the L293D does

Check the datasheet on page 2, for the “Typical of all outputs” diagram :

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn754410.pdf

So this tell us they do

So this tell us they do exactly the same?

Because if they do, I must think in getting some SN754410, they are a lot cheaper than L293D.

No, it doesn’t. Just because

No, it doesn’t. Just because there are diodes in the specs doesn’t mean that it’s clamping diodes. If you read the spec, clamping diodes are not mentioned with one word. They are, if you read the spec for the L293D which has them.

Furthermore:

Page 1. “Improved Functional Replacement for the SGS L293” It says “L293”. Not “L293D”

Page 6. If you look at their application example, they have external clamping diodes.

Researched it a bit more. I
Researched it a bit more. I found a reference to someone who has talked to TI Tech support about this and they confirm that the diodes are for ESD protection and not clamping. http://ladyada.net/make/mshield/use.html

OK!!!Thanks jka :wink:

OK!!!

Thanks jka :wink:

Sorry about that JKA, I’d always seen them as clamping diodes
Since seeing the datasheet diagram, I’ve used the 754410 for years without any external diodes believing they were already part of the device, and never had any problems. I’m a little surprised they don’t make it clearer that the diodes present aren’t meant for clamping but primarily for ESD. My only complaint about either the L293D or 754410 was that they take a bit of voltage off, since they are BJT drivers.

Ok, first, I know I asked
Ok, first, I know I asked this already, but I realized that one of us had a communication error. "what are the female headers for, I cant see where they would come in on the circuit diagram" is what I asked in one of my previous comments. Now, what I meant to ask was, What are the two 6-pin female headers that are on the ninth picture you posted for? Now to be a bit more clear, they are right between the "switch" and the plugs for the servo. Thanks. I am sorry for not being clear.

Thats ok. It loks like
Thats ok. It loks like clamps and I thought that too, until I read that it’s L293 equivalent. Then I started reading the spec sheet a couple of times. They might work as clamps, but they are probably not rated for it. So even though it might work for some time, some day a large spike will come along and kill the diodes.

ok!! no problem… I thought

ok!! no problem… I thought you were asking for the other headers…

The femle headers you see, I use them to connect other stuff for example:

- power goes from the battery to the motor controller board - the female headers are powered if the jumper is placed - this way, I can connect the MCU into the female headers, I can also connect more stuff into these female headers if I want

I hope is more clear now

You should do this same
You should do this same tutorial but with a Picaxe 28x1 Board because it could be useful in conjuction with the YDM tutorial

I would love to do it! But
I would love to do it! But my experience is only with Arduino… maybe someone can do this tutorial using Picaxe some day!!

coughcoughfritscoughcough

coughcoughfritscoughcough sorry, I’ve been sick for a while…

smooth
smooth

L293NE

I only found the L293NE, does it changes anything?

The datasheet doesn’t provide much details on the L293NE, only on the L293D and the L293…

Is L293NE, L293D and L293 the same thing?

Check Fritsl’s Start Here
Check Fritsl’s Start Here and theres a link to the Chips he used

Fritsl used a L293D

Fristl used a L293D, I’ll be using a L293NE, wich is not the same IC, but I need to know if I need some diodes.

The l293ne is like the

The l293ne is like the standard l293, so yeah, you’d need to use diodes. The one you wouldn’t with is the l293dne.

The ne model appears to just use a plastic encasing.