Brian Lippincott's hexapod

Very nice and neat!
really finishes off the look. 8)

Were can i find some of the cable tidy netting you have used?

looks good!

Thanks! I got my anti abrasion weave ( I think that’s what it is called) from a friend’s job. His company throws away a lot of extra and he collects it. The best places to look would be on eBay, or online electronics supply. One could also use heat shrink.

Hi!

Very nice project! The cables are incredible! Great job!

I have a question: :slight_smile:
I use MG-995 too. Where do you bougth these servo horns?

Thank you!

DigiKey and Mouser are sources, although free scraps are certainly better if you can manage it. :wink: Use “EXPAND BRAID SLEEVING” as a search in Digikey and it will get a list of the Alpha expandable braided sleeving products they carry.

Newark/Farnell also seem to have some but it seemed harder to find and when I did find some they didin’t seem to have as many sizes as Mouser or DK.

Thanks! The servo horns are Futaba D-wheels. I bought them online from a hobby dealer. Do a search for “Futaba D-wheels”, I don’t have the information anymore as I bought them over a year ago on sale.
MG995s are a way to build one of these on a budget and get started, but . . . . They oscillate a lot, and the servos will need to be regulated to help with the boards burning up. 7.2 volts is just too much for them under heavy load. Also, the gears will become very sloppy on about 1 out of 4 servos in a short time. I opened up all the gear cases and greased the gears with a lot of lithium grease during my last “bot tune-up”. If you plan to use them, buy 24 so you have 6 spares — you’ll probably need them in the first week of playing with the bot.
The alternative, given that I designed my hex for “Futaba Standard” is the Futaba S3305 metal gear servo that these MG995 servos presumably are a copy of. The dimensions and specs are the same. They tend to be about the same cost ( $35.00 or so) that Hitec HS645s are if you shop online. The point being that if one has the initial resources to afford proper servos, Futaba or Hitec have similar cost and performance.
The one disadvantage I did not mention was that The Futaba D-wheel does not come in aluminum any where I have found, so I’m left with plastic horns with the design of my hex. Futaba horns seem only to come in an arm version for about $6 each online. Expensive and more holes need to be drilled and tapped for my design. Live and learn.
If one can afford descent servos up front, I would recommend one build to Hitec dimensions where everything Lynxmotion will fit. They are competitive with anyone out there on price and LM has a really great aluminum servo disc. Just a thought, based on my experience.

Thanks for your answer!

I know the MG bugs, but I try to spend as little as possible :slight_smile:
I like to have other roboteers in my country, but Hitec servos are too expensive for an avarage hungarian people :frowning:
So if I can create a good robot from “low” price I think more people follow me.
I try to do some tricks to decrease the oscillation.

Now there are about 10 people how actively follow my project :slight_smile: So I very happy and I hope they build a hexapod too and made a “Hexapod Meet” :slight_smile:

Sorry for my english :slight_smile:

Wonderful hexapod! Those legs look tailered for Jim’s new presure sensors. :smiley:

8-Dale

Thanks! I already have a set of Jim’s sensors. Just need to machine some Delrin foot caps with indents to mount the sensors, and start experimenting. Xan and Zenta will probably have a “magic” program written for compliance & uneven terrain any time now . . . . :smiley:

hows the project going?

brlippincott

Just wondering if you have thought about selling machined parts yet?
Just wondering if you would be prepared to share your design on this part?:

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/Kneebracket.jpg

Its just what i am looking for and would help me lots!
if you woulld be prepared to do this i can pay you! need 8!
:stuck_out_tongue:

innerbreed wrote:

Sorry it took a bit for me to get back, been away. :slight_smile: My CNC is not finished and may not be for a bit. :angry: Life gets in the way. That is the most likely and practical way for me to make good robot parts. I’m still using the ones I already had made as a special favor.

I will share my CAD drawing files for free, any ones you want. It seems only fair. Everyone here is so happy to help with free tips and code and such. I would not be where I am on my hex were it not for the help I received here. Just reply to my personal e-mail:
[email protected]

Here’s a good place: cableorganizer.com/wire-management/

It has everything for cables and wires. There is many different types so I gave you the main link to the braided stuff. 8)

Could u upload the designs, and wich software you used?