Atom Programming with USB to serial cables with laptops

Ok…

Do you have the Bod Board II powered up? Green LED lit?

Do you have the IDE 8.0.1.8 installed?

Do you have any other program running that uses the serial port?

Repeat…
Have you used the usb to serial cable successfully with other applications before?

Hello,

I have a strange problem. My computer is a Macbook Pro and I am running Windows via Parallels. I use Basic Micro Studio, and a USB to serial adapter. I installed the driver on my mac (PL-2303), and configured the virtual machine to see the actual serial port on com1. If i search for the atom pro in preferences it finds it with no problem. If i connect to the board to read serial it sends back every thing is ok. If i press the program button, it works a random amount of time, after witch i get the “error connecting to atom pro, all operations completed sucesfuly”. The strangest part is that if i hook up a serial to serial port cable (about 1.5 m) it runs correctly. i oppen up these cable to find out that it is a standard cable and has all the pins connected. I tried eliminating the cable, by making a small adapter that has 1 ohm resistors on all pins (to try to replicate the caracteristics of the cable - the cable had a resistance of about 0.7-0.8 ohm), but with no luck. i don’t want to have a 3m cable from my laptop to my atom board just to be able to program it (the usb to serial has 1.5m and the cable has another 1.5m). the other problem i have is that it programs it pretty slow. I get less than half the time when i use a Toshiba laptop that has a serial port-it’s 10 years old…

I’m pretty frustrated that i can’t use my laptop the way i want to…
Any advice would be very appreciated.
best regards,

paul mocan

I have no idea really as I do not have any mac computers at all. The only USB to serial cable I know is trustworthy for programming is the FTDI one. It has a property in the driver called latency and when adjusted to its lowest setting is as fast as a serial port.

Open Tools/Preferences and Click Advanced. Increase the reset hold time from the dafault(should be 25) to between 30 and 50 and see what happens. If that doesn’t fix it try lowering the reset hold time to 15,10,5

I program my Atom PRO from my laptop using a Parallax USB to Serial adapter. It works perfectly every time, and I did not have to change any driver settings or anything else. It just works. :smiley:

8-Dale

It works now, but i have to keep the 1.5m serial to serial cable atached. If i remove it, i am not able
to do program it, so for now i use it like this.