A quick question about helicopter rotor thrust for new idea

There are some Hobby Servos that do have feedback capabilities. Like: Robotis servos (AX12-A for about $45). The problem is that these don’t fit into the same type of brackets like Hitec servos do, but have their own way of being attached.

Orion Robotics is now selling some new servos that I believe would fit into the Lynxmotion servo brackets(orionrobotics.com/Digital-Se … p_302.html) which are about $60 for 220 oz/in of force.

Also I have seen a few people talking about some other new servos by Dongbu (herkulex.com/). I know very little about these.

Kurt

Humm… Interesting
robotshop.com/ca/productinfo … lang=en-US

Thanks for the links guys! :mrgreen:
I’m trying to keep everything as small and as light as possible to conserve cost and hopefully to achieve better results with the same servos, motors, etc.
Those Herkulex motors are pretty unusual but have got my interest; I might buy one at some point in the near-ish future to check it out :mrgreen: - well at least the 320 degrees rotation will be of use to those guys building arms who wanted the 240 degrees. ^___^

AKdaBAOUS

Hi again guys. ^___^

Just the updated design for the docking system - taking into consideration the size of the propellers required, I’m currently in the process of trying to make the robot as small and lightweight as possible so that I can hopefully drop the propeller size down to 10" (3 blade). However, the feet brackets will still have to be about 12" long (unless this second idea I’m trying out works in which case, this should number should drop by a few inches - hopefully ^___^).

The image below shows the foot bracket (with the hole for the hole punching hold). Don’t pay much attention to the shape at the moment, I just threw it together quickly for the docking system. :mrgreen:

Moving on, the docking system is the same as yesterday except with the change to the top half and the middle section of the docking plates.

The cube cut out from the centre of the mating and bottom plate of the system will be where the lock/release mechanism will come through to attach to the top plate so that it can move to lock/release the foot brackets.

Finally we have the top plate to sandwich the feet brackets in. ^___^

AKdaBAOUS

P.S. I looked into those 320 degrees servos and they have a pretty nice method of joining themselves together - it’s like a cross between LEGO and Knex. ^___^

Hi everyone! ^___^
Just some more progress on the design …

So we’ve got the 10" triple blade propeller:

The leg bracket - the flat part at the end will attach to the base of the motor holding frame:

Finally, a rough design of what the quadcopter mode will look like (excluding legs and main body ^__^):

AKdaBAOUS

Excuse me if I have missed something, so I apologise if this has been covered 'but im confused about how you have this set up. I thought you would be working on a leg design that incorporates a brushless motor?
From your sketchs it looks like a quadcopter frame? Are you just planning on mounting the frame to 6 legs or something.

Keep up the progress eitherway. :wink:

No sorry, it’s my fault - I’ve been attempting to put together the whole CAD model so you can see how it looks but due to lack of sleep (from partying neighbours :laughing: ) and an assessment on Assembly Language due in on Thursday, I haven’t really had much of chance to post the whole thing. All you see there are the feet brackets clamped in the docking system (which happen to look like a quadcopter frame). :mrgreen:
I will however, try to post the whole set-up on Friday. ^___^

AKdaBAOUS

Oh I get it now. So this is the tibias, raised aboce the body and locked into a part on top of the frame?

On thing…
Copter need to have zero vibration, so in the concept try to avoid anthing that could induce them

@Innerbreed: Yep. :mrgreen:

@DiaLFonZo: Zero vibrations … cool, I think I can do that. ^___^

Hi everyone! :mrgreen:

I had some time today so I started working on a (hopefully) clearer model of what the layout will look like. ^___^

So we have another design for the foot-rotor bracket:

The bottom and top halves for the docking system - changed to allow incorporation of all six legs:

The leg bracket has also been modified to make it more compatible with the motor itself and foot-rotor bracket:

Here we have the leg in it’s Standing Position:

Followed by the leg in it’s raised Quadcopter Position - I removed the horizontal panning servo since we’re focusing on the raising and lowering motion at this point:

The next few photos are just of the hexapod in quadcopter mode. I should have mentioned this earlier but I forgot about adding the spacers between the leg and foot brackets so you’ll have to use your imagination there I’m afraid. ^___^

AKdaBAOUS

Just some more … ^___^

I have a question … since all six legs are going to be in the same docked position anyway, would it be worthwhile turning it into a hexcopter?

Also, in terms of controlling the robot - would it be best to use one circuit board for the whole thing or two separate ones - one for the hexapod and the other for the quad/hexcopter?

AKdaBAOUS

Great to see the concept.
Id keep it as a quadcopter. I have some questions for you…
Is there enough room for the rotors to turn without conflicting?
Second, how big are your estimates on the chassis?
Also, you could use the middle legs to carry payload if weight doesn’t kill it first.

Some kind of lock in place mechanism… Humm … very interesting

Well I’ve designed it so there’s about a 3-4 cm gap between spinning rotors - not sure if that’s enough though?

I’m estimating a square base with about 10-12cm side length for this current idea I have (I’ll post sketches for that in the next few days).

When you say “carry payload”, I’m guessing you mean during walking, right?
I did have an idea to have motors with smaller propellers on the middle two legs but that wouldn’t really work because of symmetry issues. :slight_smile:

AKdaBAOUS

I mean the distance from coxa to coxa
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/innerbreed/1359591653940.jpg

Ah yes, sorry about that - the design should have been square but looks like it turned out as a rectangle. :mrgreen:

Looking at the drawing from top… the prop will hit each other…
The thing need to be square (the motors)

Yep, I’ll change that for the next design post. :mrgreen:

Need an inch or more between prop.