6WD with suspension? (Robomagellan)

I’m having drive train problems.

There are a pair of DC servo motors, each driving a short (3") 037 (3/8") .2" pitch timing belt from the 2nd level down to the first, 23:15 ratio for a 1.33 speed increase. The motors are mounted on opposite ends

On the first level are three short axles on each side of the 'bot, connected on 8" centers by the same timing belts, and 20 tooth pulleys. There are belt tensioners (4) between each pair of pulleys pressing down on the top of the belt. (I do remember hearing that the tensioner pulleys should be on the driven side of the pulley, so one pair is on the wrong side).

The belt system appears to run fine in straight runs, grass, concrete, etc., even when moving quite fast. The problem arises when the 'bot starts to make a turn (more torque required). I start hearing loud “popping” sounds, which I take to be the belt(s) jumping teeth.

I can’t determine which belt(s) is jumping. Since I first observed (heard) the problem, I’ve strengthened up the bearing supports between the axles, made a better tensioning nut for the belt tensioners (idlers), and increased the tension on the upper drive belts as well. Specs say 3-4 oz at 3/64" deflection on the belts, although I don’t have a way to accurately measure it. The belts “sing” when they run, like they are being “plucked”, so I think they’re pretty tight.

The angle of the upper motor belt is about 50 degrees, and I haven’t yet figured out a way to add a tensioner to it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Alan KM6VV

Could it be the servos themselves - and the internal teeth jumping / stripping?

These are DC servo motors. I can verify that the belt is jumping on the smaller 15 tooth pulley.

Alan KM6VV

Hi Alan,

I’ve been reading and admiring your build for days now! Really amazing! Did you end up figuring out your drivetrain issues?

I’m contemplating a similar build, but using six motors (small ones). What diameter shaft did you use to mount your pulleys? I assume that this must fit into the driveshaft/axle from Traxxas?

Your last post mentions that you used DC servo motors; what made you choose those?

Sorry for all the questions; this is all just so fascinating :slight_smile:

Thanks Alan!!

Hi,

I got different tires, and I’m replacing the first timing belt off of the motor with #25 chains. That should help.

I’m using 1/4" shafts. They are machined on end to mate up with the Traxxas drive shafts.

DC servo motors are just a better motor (skewed laminations) then a cheap motor. Superdroid robotics.

Will you have independent suspension on all six wheels?

You might like to start a thread on your 'bot build. I’d like to read it!

Alan KM6VV

Nice work with adding suspension on the rover. Sorry to put competitor link, But just wanted to provide a concept of rover with suspensions

orionrobotics.com/Razor-4-Wheel-Drive-Robot_p_249.html

cheers

Yes I know the guys at Orion Robotics, I even have a Fire Ant!

They have a nice suspension, although the motor weight is un-sprung.

Alan KM6VV