2020 Bot

The 2020 Bot is a $20 robot you can build in 20 minutes, just using scissors and tape, with parts purchased online and at your local craft store.

Here's the parts list:

• Foam Board (approx. 8.5″ x 11″)
  • (2) Yellow 1:120 Gearboxes with 6V Motors plus Wheels
  • (2) 0.1uF Capacitors
  • 4xAA Battery Box with Switch
  • 400 Point Solderless Breadboard
  • Ping Pong Ball
  • L9110S Dual Motor Driver
  • IR Remote Control Package (Remote + Receiver Module + IR LED)
  • Arduino Nano (recommend the latest version with the CH340G)
  • 1K Resistor
  • (8) 20cm Male-Female Jumper Wires
  • (6) 10cm Male-Male Jumper Wires
  • Double sided tape (3M VHB or similar)

More info is available at http://RoboJay.us

Video build instructions are available on YouTube

PDF for the chassis is available here

Arduino library and demo code is on GitHub

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/2020-bot

Hey jay it is me noah!!!

Dear: Jay Francis

I think you used a wrong image format. I have no idea what it is supposed tto say. Sorry!!!

Hi Noah - I think I just

Hi Noah - I think I just needed approval to post… looks fixed now :slight_smile:

how do you mount the

how do you mount the pingpong ball below the chassis ?

So Simple

Such a simple little bot but yet a great learning experience. So glad you posted this here. Glad to have you as a member.

Thanks!I see we had similar

Thanks!

I see we had similar first computers :wink:  Mine was a ZX81 - I still have it!  Although most of my early “programming” was done on TRS-80s at Radio Shack while my mom went grocery shopping…  In hindsight - those salespeople were super tolerant!

It presses in. The hole is

It presses in.  

The hole is slightly smaller than the diameter of the ping pong ball.  The plates above the ball keep it from popping up.

Here’s where I insert the ball:  https://youtu.be/v0GYrdg41cc?t=13m10s

If that link doesn’t work, go to the 2020 Bot Chassis Assembly video, at about the 13 minute mark.

–Jay

Not only simple but also

Not only simple but also very good for other projects like a line follower or a obstacle avoider with a range sensor. It looks like a very good base for many robots.

Demo Videos

I just added videos that show the 2020 Bot running the Demo example code.

**Where can I buy this robot? **

Is there a link to this robot, I’m looking forward to this :smiley:

Re: Where can I buy this robot?

Not yet…  

The parts are easy enough to track down/purchase from multiple sources though.  I do have an Amazon store set up with items that I have personally bought and tested (go to my blog, and look for the Amazon store link on the right).  Some of the parts are available at Robotshop, but not all.

The current plan is to have kits available after Bay Area Maker Faire (May 19-21).

It’s as simple as it gets

Jay has been developing this thing for a bit now. It’s cost, easy to assemble, no need for power tools, and expandable.

-Rich

Awesome!!!

Awesome!!!