Servo Erector Set 3-D Models Database

Okay, here’s the ever-growing database of 3-D models for the servo erector set.

Servo Erector Set 3-D Models Database

We need to know what format(s) besides Solidworks would be worthwhile to offer these models in. Go ahead and post your feedback here.

I had one email asking for c4d (Cinema 4d), obj (wavefront), or 3ds.

im working on obj but every time i end up with missing faces. ill keep on it

nick

To me, the most useful thing would be blueprint-style 3-view images with dimensions.

But maybe that just means I need to buy some 3D software that can load these images. :slight_smile:

IGES format is readable by many of the solid and surface modeling programs. We have SolidWorks at work and I have asked the MEs here to load and export a few so I can use them in Rhino. If you are already using SolidWorks it would be pretty easy to just do the export directly. A word of caution, .igs files can be pretty large since they are text (the servo is over 5MB) so you may want to zip them to save on bandwidth.
EB
:mrgreen:

Eddie,

perhaps it a function of the way i built the models but when i load the iges into 3ds max 7 i am still missing faces, as im pretty new to all this do you have any idea what is going on

thanks
nick

Unfortunately I do not know anything about 3ds max. The Rhino I got as a student thing so it was, uh, affordable. :slight_smile:
If you would like, PM me an e-mail that can take a 700K file and I will send you the servo file I loaded into Rhino, which appeared to work OK for me.
EB
:mrgreen:

This topic got kind of quiet. I did sent that IGES file to Nick_A but have not heard if he successfully got it to load.

If anyone has a .sldprt or .iges for the HUB-02, or happens to know the the diameters of the shaft hub OD, the bolt circle diameter, the outer diameter, the universal part of the hubs thickness, and OD length along the shaft axis it would help me a great deal.
I think this part will work for what I am want to do but need to build a Rhino model and put it in the assembly so I can get the warm fuzzy before buying a bunch of stuff to build a prototype.

Thanks.

If you mean hub-08, according to the SolidWorks file, try this:

mike-winters.com/hub-08.png

Mike

Edit: removed image tags to prevent page scrolling.

Nope I have that. I need info on the 6mm universal HUB-02, mostly used with wheels it appears from the page. Thanks for trying though. :slight_smile:

Ah, you meah this: lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=114&CategoryID=.

Sorry, Nick never made that part in SolidWorks (that I am aware of), and I don’t have the specs. I’m sure Jim will pipe up with them before long though.

Mike

yeah that part. the other one, hub-08 which I actually have a couple of, has a 3/16 hole in the middle which would have to be drilled out to fit a 6mm shaft. I guess I’d rather not if I did not have to since then the whole “is it really down the middle” thing comes into play.

I believe that the specs of all of the Lynxmotion hubs were posted in the first Robot magazine issue of this year.

I’ll get them for you when I get home in about 4 hours.

Hopefully, I’ll remember.
:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure if the article has all of the specs…
Ok here goes…
bolt circle = .625"
bolt tap = 5-40
overall OD = .870"
main thickness = .250"
overall thickness = .500"
shaft step OD = .370"
set screw = 10-32
Hope this helps…

thanks for the info. might be a few days but I’ll post a render of what I am working on. still sourcing and modeling some of the rest of the parts so it doesn’t look like much yet. I would have loved to work with 4mm stuff but am having a heck of a time sourcing worms and worm gears for 4mm shafts so 6mm it has become. wrong thread for this in the end so I’ll stop now. thanks again for the info. :wink:

Hi guys,

I’m planning on building a hexapod (starting with a 2DOF) using the SES, but due to usual “real-life” priorities I can’t order any hardware 'till later in the year. So, I figured the next best thing would be to build one in Solidworks using Nick’s great models and play around - run some simulations, force analyses etc.

It seems there’s still a few components missing from the database, is there any chance of getting dimensions for the remaining bits? At the moment I’ve got all the bits I can assembled for a 2DOF leg and I’m keen to model the 4-40 ball-link set then HBK-02 and the HBKR-01 chasis to build a complete assembly.

Cheers,

Chris

Jim’s usually very open with the dimesions of his toys.
Send him an email:
[email protected]

Thanks, I’ll do that. I’m hoping I can contribute to the database.

I am willing to add all of the SES lexan parts to the Solidworks page. However I design all of the Lexan stuff using CorelDRAW! ver 8. I am not 3D savy so I rely on people from the forum like Nick A. who did all of the bracket stuff. Here is the problem. I can’t devote the time to dimension all of the Lexan parts, and I don’t know how to convert from Corel into a format that a 3D program can import directly. Corel’s DXF export accurately exports the lines, but it trashes the format. I mean poly lines are saperated and odd bits and pieces are connected. It takes hours to fix a single file. Any help would be appreciated! :wink:

There shouldn’t be too much of a problem working from a Corel file, even if you can’t import it into Solidworks, it can be used as a dimensional reference to create the 3D model from scratch. If you’re happy to let me have a Corel file I can give it a try.

Chris