Planetary Gearhead Motor Servo Project Update!

I have finally received some of the motors for this project! We will get them on the website soon. I’m still waiting on some of the aluminum work, seems like I’m always saying that. :stuck_out_tongue: The controller board is in prototype and we will be alpha testing it soon. I also received some samples of the larger motor. Here is a pic. :smiley:

:open_mouth: WOW, that is incredible, quite some intense amount of strength

i think i will be going with these wen i finish the rover and put an arm onto it :smiley:

how much will they be going for? they look really nice

Very cool. What are the potential applications that you are targeting for these? I guess I’m not seeing the big picture yet.

Using the SES-style mounting holes for scale, I’m approximating that the small one is about 4" long and about 0.75" in diameter, while the large one is about 5" long and 1.25" in diameter. Is that about right?

As to the potential applications: I guess that these would work well in SES applications where a single servo might have some issues and/or need a load-balancing spring, such as the waist mechanisms of the Johnny5 torso, or the shoulder mech of an arm, where two servos are currently used in tandem. I can see quite a lot of potential for this sort of joint, even though it does require thinking of SES brackets in somewhat different terms, in order to get away from thinking of the standard servo form factor. Thinking, if you will excuse the pun, “outside the box”. :wink:

Well it is in the Servo Erector Set forum… :wink:

It’s the beginnings of some powerful planetary gear head motor servos. But more importantly they will not breakdown with continuous use, like some of the “super servos” in the small packages.

This thread should shed some light on the subject. :smiley:
lynxmotion.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1710

I suspect that the big picture would be of a big robot.

Think hexapods with 6-12 inch long leg segments. (depending on load)

IIRC super-strong robot arm shoulders and elbows have also been mentioned.

Hopefully Jim will also sell the openservo derived driver PCBs.

EDIT: Darn my slow typing!!

Will load bearing bearings be incorporated into the design, especially the larger size? Looks like the pot could be subjected to possibly more side loading than what it might be normally expected to handle.

Ok

Jim this is something I have always been Looking for! I want to know if I could use these to drive a robot and use the SEQ program to wirelessly control it so there is a simple driving solution with no programming (part of my next project hopefully).

Also these will have a nice place with any other arms I decide to build (hopefully one entirely made of these :wink: ).

Also, can you sell some sample packages of these with the prototyping boards so some of us can test them out, or are you doing this entirely on your own?

Thanks, these are looking great!

Hey BBlalock, Long time no see. :smiley:

The super strong arms was the original idea that started this. :wink:

We will offer the controller and the motor individually. :slight_smile:

There isn’t any easy way to add bearings to the pot, short of finding a pot that has bearings built in. But the motors, both the small and the large have bearings on the output shaft, not bushings. The pot may be the weak link, but it’s going to be difficult to avoid it with this design. It’s going to be a lot cheaper than the super servos though.

Oh, I do like this!

There have been quite a few times where I’d wished that you still sold those quarter-scale servo guts, as I had a use for the controller board, but couldn’t justify the expense of a new 1/4-scale servo just to rip out the insides for a project. Having the board and mechanism available individually adds a lot of flexibility.

The side-loading is an interesting point. If one isn’t too concerned about adding a little extra length to the base assembly, I could see a bearing-supported shaft where the pot currently attaches, which is coupled to the pot shaft through a mechanical link. This would move the pot outwards the length of its input shaft, plus the length of the bearing-supported stub, and require a third vertical bracket to support the pot. Assembling such an arrangement could also be “fun”, if you kept the bracket as simple as possible; making it easier to build would probably add to the mechanical complexity of the unit, thus raising the price.

Interesting concept - hard to realize.

What! no “shiny!”? lol

The SHB-01 was the guts from a 705 servo. It’s been discontinued. I have on order 100 of the guts from a 745 Digital Sevo… Better, faster, stronger, shinyer! I’m just waiting, and waiting, and waiting, till they get here. These sort of items are very slow to ship from them.

I know you “get it” Joe. :wink: The biggie in the shoulder and the smallie in the elbow and perhaps in the wrist as well. This should easily be able to handle picking up a 12 to 16 ounce object, and do it for an hour or a day. Digital servos can add extra DOF, out on the end of the wrist. They will be able to be controlled from the SSC-32 and the SEQ program, sure. Yeah! I’m excited too! :smiley:

Im so excited, this is a childhood dream come true :smiley: to build a robotic arm composed of motors and servos. :laughing:

What motors are those? (link :smiley: )

We will have them on the website with specs, later today, or Monday…

where else can you get just the motor?

I do not know who else carries it, as we have ordered them with ball bearings. Robot Combat carries a similar version of the smaller one with less gear reduction and bushings. I don’t know of anyone who carries the larger one.