Lynxmotion A4WD3 payload?

Can the Lynxmotion A4WD3 (mecanum) carry a payload and if so, what is the payload rating?

@pbunt911 Welcome to the RobotShop Community.

However, for a 4WD or tracked robot, the payload depends on many factors:

• Angle of incline (going up a hill is a lot harder than a flat surface)
  • Turning radius (since it uses skid steer, it may be able to go in a straight line under heavy load but not turn at all)
  • Terrain / surface (more friction = harder to move)
  • Length of time (The longer it operates under heavy load, the faster the DC motors heat up and are less efficient)

As such, it’s very difficult to assign a payload rating. If you tell us about the payload you want to carry, and the conditions above, we should be able to provide a better answer of if we think it will or won’t work.

For the Mecanum version, assuming the robot will be used on a flat and level surface, we have tested the max (temporary) payload to be upwards of 18Kg (full 5Gal used). This having been said, the DC motors will be drawing significantly more current under high load and you will need to be aware that they will be heating up more, becoming less efficient and in time lowering their lifespan and creating issues.

1 Like

This is super helpful! Thank you! I’m looking for a mobile platform on which to mount a six axis arm. I’m considering the MyCobot 320 as it seems to be the highest quality in that price range. It weighs in at 3.5kg with a 1kg max payload. The other factor would be ensuring the chassis remains stable with load on the arm, but I haven’t attempted those calculations yet. But it seems like the Lynxmotion would at least handle the weight. Thanks again! Any other advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated; this is my first venture into DIY robotics!

1 Like

Should be fine actually - that’s not a heavy robot (3.5Kg), and the black certainly matches the A4WD3.

The other factor would be ensuring the chassis remains stable with load on the arm

Bingo. Glad you raised it.

Any other advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated; this is my first venture into DIY robotics!

Figure out if that arm can also be connected to a DC motor controller which accepts serial input. If yes, they that might save you having to purchase a separate controller. You will also need to figure out how the arm will be powered. In terms of mechanical connection, the G10 plate can easily be drilled to mount the arm (access plate can be used on the bottom for example). Are you considering the wheeled or tracked version?

1 Like

Thanks!!

Yeah, the power and controller are another factor I’ve yet to explore. I assumed there must be a way to make them compatible, but I’ll have to do some more digging. For now, I’m just playing around with some ready-to-go robots so I can learn the code. Thanks again! I really appreciate the insight.

1 Like