How to Make a Robot - Lesson 3: Making Sense of Actuators

@jarrett We don’t see why not, but don’t know of any which do at this time.

i want to control my robot with my voice… like if i say “move”… it should move

@Prashant You need a microphone and a speech to text module. https://www.robotshop.com/en/speech-recognition.html

Hi, you people are doing a great job,by helping us,i am working on a project ,it a clothes sorting type of application,i want help in designing the system.I think the pneumatic actuators is to be used for this system.The main part is ,it has to be made in low cost,but i am trying to make it out of household things.So,please help me ,i am waiting for your reply.

@Shrikant You should create a new topic on letsmakerobots.com and describe your idea in more detail.

Hi. Your work on how to make a robot is just so amazing. However, I do have a question? Is there a way of constructing your own microcontroller, with your own desired option. It would be nice if you gave a detailed tutorial on that.

@Navein Suresh You can certainly design your own breakout board for a microprocessor with the features you want. Designing the microprocessor itself however tends to require a lot of time, knowledge and money.

Sir, what type of actuator you will recommend if the motor is being used to lift heavy weight and the range of the motion is limited to 180 degrees?

@paul We’d need to know a bit more about the application in order to help you determine the best actuator. Can you create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum and provide details of what’s being lifted and the motion required?

What actuator should someone use for a leg robot

@Stephen Most humanoid legged robots use RC or smart servos in each joint. If you want to make an insect-like or other design, the choice of actuator varies.

I want to learn robotics but I am 14 and I am just a beginner an I live in India so how can I learn

@Ash Tennyson There’s a LOT of information about programming online (free). If you want to get involved in hardware, it all depends on your budget and interests. You can start component level, or with a robot kit.

I can’t wait to actually make a robot

Looking forward to seeing your first project.

Ok, and I also can’t wait for my first project

Hello sir. God bless you for this learning platform. Please I am a beginner. I don’t have any equipment yet. What do I need to get. So I can understand were to input those calculations

@Courage233 Welcome to the RobotShop Community. What calculations? If you’re completely new to robotics, you might want to start with a kit.

I appreciate the material. However, I feel with this level it presents a lot of technical jargon. Admins, is there a way to add exact links that pop-up in a smaller window when you hover over certain esoteric terminology to make it easier to disseminate? I feel this is something that could improve the entire site, though it might be tedious. I’d be happy to help.

@Danufactured Welcome to the RobotShop community. Currently don’t have that feature (mouseover or hover popup) on the community. Do you mean the RobotShop website as a whole or just this Tutorial section? A quick work-around for the Tutorials section would be to add links to specific words. The tutorial which is associated with this thread does try to broadly describe each type of actuator, though indeed there are certain technical terms which are not explained like “encoder”. The main objective is to help the user understand the main differences and guide them down the right path.