How about an affordable 6 servo biped!

Edit: Well this thread has grown to 17 pages in a short time. If you take the time to read it you will see how fast a product can be developed. Long story short the little 6 servo walker is a kit complete with assembly and operating tutorials, an image gallery, and many videos.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/c-85-bipeds.aspx

http://www.lynxmotion.com/driver.aspx?Topic=gallery05

Below is the original thread…

Hello everyone,

I was inspired by the Robot Magazine article about the 6 servo biped called Six-Pack written by Harry Mueller. Not wanting to spend a dozen hours cutting out complex shapes from sheet plastic, and then trying to glue them together… I opted to build it from the Servo Erector Set. The author said the robot he modeled Six-Pack after used cheap servos. So I tried it. Because it is light you can actually use HS-422 servos! This robot is affordable, and can do quite a lot of cool moves.

I have James working with it using the Visual Sequencer and the SSC-32. He has it getting up from laying down on its front and back. It can balance on one leg, kick, and of course walk. We are adding videos to the website as he finds new moves. The videos are here…
lynxmotion.com/ViewPage.aspx … #biped6srv
The cost for this little bugger will be around $249.95 including SSC-32!
Biped Robotics on the cheap.
Upgradable, reconfigurable, versatile! :smiley:

Jim, is there anything you can’t do with the SES?

Very Cool! It was so amazing to watch that it actually made me laugh!

This has got to be made a kit! :open_mouth: :laughing:

It has loads of personality. Yea, it’s on the fast track for kit’dom for sure. Just added a video of it walking. :smiley:

With the exception of the U channel it can be built from existing SES parts. They are coming soon.

way cool, i think this will be a solution to my problem of choosing between a hexapod or adding to my bot, so cool :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i think its size gives it a cute kinda look :laughing:

Beth just added a video of it kicking a water bottle. :smiley:

lynxmotion.com/ViewPage.aspx … #biped6srv

lol, wat servos are you using for these videos? and wat do u think the maxiumum servo capacity would be?

The robot is using HS-422 servos! If you want a little better control go to HS-475 or HS-645, but you can have a lot of fun with the $12.99 HS-422’s. I was very amazed at what could be done with them. :smiley:

and this is expandable right?

It’s based on the SES. That’s about as expandable as it comes. As you build it larger, you will need to upgrade to more powerful servos, but that’s the beauty of it. You don’t have to do it all at once. :smiley:

This is a fantastic starter biped. Fewer servos to manage in the beginning, makes learning easier and affordable. I love it.

Jim, i shall now worship you as a god :laughing:

yea, that y i likve it already mike, cause for beginners like me, it is easy then i can slowly progress to more and more advanced stuff

Oh sure post this after I started my Hexapod project … I avoid the biped because of the cost.

Oh well that does look very cool Jim.

this make its easy to make a small army. :slight_smile:

Jim, exactly wat brackets does this contraption contain? if u can tell me that is

The parts list is as follows. Note, the aluminum channel is not yet available.

Aluminum Channel (Length = 3) x 1 ASB-04B Alum. Multi-Purpose Servo Bracket (2pk) (BRU) x 3 ASB-09B Alum. "C" Servo Bracket w/ BB (2pk) (BRU) x 3 ASB-06B Alum. "L" Connector Bracket (2pk) (BRU) x 1 ARF-01B Alum. Robot Feet (Pair) (BRU) x 1 S422 HS-422 (57 oz. in.) Standard Servo x 6 HMSH-01 Hitec Spline Metal Servo Horn (Tapped) x 6 <- not required EC-02 SES Electronics Carrier x 1 SSC-32 SSC-32 Servo Controller x 1 WH-01 Wiring Harness - Battery Connector x 1

thanks beth, big help :smiley:

would you suggest the visual basic thing too?

New video of the biped showing off its balancing skill.

lynxmotion.com/ViewPage.aspx?ContentCode=videos&CategoryID=17#biped6srv

thats awesome :smiley:

this thing just gets better and better

o yea, when do you expect this to come out?

if i can get the apporval from my parents im gonna get it as soon as possible :wink:

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on taking SixPac in this wonderful new direction. It offers a great option for those not wanting to do the frame fabrication.

Thanks also for validating that the robot can be built with cheap servos. I’ve had some people question whether SixPac could be built for under $100 and I think you’ve shown, with a reasonably well-populated parts box, that is certainly possible.

Now I wonder if the HS-422s could handle an 8 servo biped? :laughing:

Regards, Harry