Lynxmotion UAV - Hunter VTail 400-500 Creation

Posted on 30/09/2015 by dialfonzo
Modified on: 13/09/2018
Project
Press to mark as completed
Introduction
This is an automatic import from our previous community platform. Some things can look imperfect.

If you are the original author, please access your User Control Panel and update it.

Hi All, I'd like to share the multicopter design I did a couple of years ago.  I was designing multicopter frames for a while and a guy who I was dealing with for electronic board contacted me. He said that another guy in France called "Bledi" was using a special frame configuration for his Quadcopter with two motors being angled and he wanted me to design a real frame to replace his home-made version. That's something I like, to take a basic idea and work around it until something nice comes ...

Lynxmotion UAV - Hunter VTail 400-500 Creation

Hi All,

I'd like to share the multicopter design I did a couple of years ago. 

I was designing multicopter frames for a while and a guy who I was dealing with for electronic board contacted me. He said that another guy in France called "Bledi" was using a special frame configuration for his Quadcopter with two motors being angled and he wanted me to design a real frame to replace his home-made version.

That's something I like, to take a basic idea and work around it until something nice comes out of it. His base idea was good and I took the challenge. I would like to thank "Bledi" as well as "JohnyGab" for bringing this project idea to me. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

On the right side you can see a Lynxmotion promotional video for this Vtail quadcopter. Before you ask me, i'm not the pilot in this video; a very talented pilot called Warthox gave us this footage.

Here are a few shots of the original frame:

I was already using G10 material to create my frames so I kept this for the new build. Than I designed around a two layer system which was reinforced by vertical plates with matching slots. This allows for a strong but lightweight frame while keeping a good structural integrity.

The tail was challenging, I made several drafts but ended up using the same "vertical plate" design in a "V" shape. I also added a reinforcement bar that keeps the assembly together.

Two frame sizes were created keeping the overall frame look and style a 400 and a 500. They shared the same center section but changed arms and tail dimensions to allow for small or large propellers. You can see here the differences between the two frames.

Bledi was happy with the new frame design and so was I. I then started to produce the frame for anyone interested through forums, making them individualy at home on my own CNC under the DiaLFonZo-Copter brand. Later on, the demand was becoming too high and I switched to an outside source for cutting.

Some pictures of the original frame i've cut:

In 2013, I joined the RobotShop team as leader of our Lynxmotion UAV line. The VTail frames were therefore added to the new line of Lynxmotion products.

Thanks for reading..!

Note: The VTail configuration is supported by the MultiWii project as well as some others like KK boards. It's a less efficient configuration than a symetric quadcopter but will handle more like a Tricopter with a lot of Yaw potential. Best for sport flying.

LikedLike this to see more

Spread the word

Flag this post

Thanks for helping to keep our community civil!

Notify staff privately
It's Spam
This post is an advertisement, or vandalism. It is not useful or relevant to the current topic.

You flagged this as spam. Undo flag.Flag Post