iRobot Rooma 530 Robot

Posted on 18/12/2008 by frazz
Modified on: 13/09/2018
Project
Press to mark as completed
Introduction
This is an automatic import from our previous community platform. Some things can look imperfect.

If you are the original author, please access your User Control Panel and update it.

This really was just built to learn how to program C# robotics applications. A goal is to have some type of object tracking via the webcam, currently it uses just the roomba standard sensors for navigation. Outdoors I have a GPS module that I will be testing in a local tennis court once summer comes back and the snow is gone....                This is a picture of the SCI control cable, it connects to a standard serial port TTL 5V, (uses a max232 for the PC connection), ...

iRobot Rooma 530 Robot

This really was just built to learn how to program C# robotics applications. A goal is to have some type of object tracking via the webcam, currently it uses just the roomba standard sensors for navigation. Outdoors I have a GPS module that I will be testing in a local tennis court once summer comes back and the snow is gone....

This is a picture of the SCI control cable, it connects to a standard serial port TTL 5V, (uses a max232 for the PC connection), and has one special control line to wake up the roomba.

The next picture shows me making a template from lexan to hold the CPU, HDD, and various other components.

Lexan cut into a roomba shape....

Photobucket

This is a power wire added to a remote switch as there is no longer access to the main top power button. I will actaully be adding a small cable assebly to bring out the dock, clean, demo and lights to a control board ontop of the robot.

Guenuine Microsoft XP Professional COA, ;)

Test fitting all the components before final assembly...

Completed robot... see youtube video of its first power on and run...

Got some basic object tracking working, set to keep and follow a red object at a specified distance.

It roomba's around the house... :)

• Actuators / output devices: 2 drive motors
  • Control method: autonomous or remote over C# application
  • CPU: Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR2 Ram, DVI, HD Audio, 2 x Serial, 120GB HDD, 4 USB
  • Operating system: Windows XP Pro
  • Power source: roomba IPS power supply, auto return to base charge station
  • Programming language: C#
  • Sensors / input devices: roomba sensors, color windows camera
  • Target environment: indoor, outdoor on smooth tennis courts etc
LikedLike this to see more

Spread the word

Flag this post

Thanks for helping to keep our community civil!

Notify staff privately
It's Spam
This post is an advertisement, or vandalism. It is not useful or relevant to the current topic.

You flagged this as spam. Undo flag.Flag Post