Hexapod 001

Posted on 17/03/2016 by Razorgon
Modified on: 13/09/2018
Project
Press to mark as completed
Introduction
This is an automatic import from our previous community platform. Some things can look imperfect.

If you are the original author, please access your User Control Panel and update it.

For my 2nd project i will be making a 6 legged robot that can move in all directions (fingers crossed) like Steg ill be making it from the ground up and prob get a few grey hairs! << Goals >> Build a walker using tripod gate motionAble to move in all directions Control by remote > r/cGain more hands on xp for bigger complex projectsAble for wet/dry and rough/smooth terrain  Leg layout and frame design having the gears to tight seems to cause too much friction and too loose ...

Hexapod 001

For my 2nd project i will be making a 6 legged robot that can move in all directions (fingers crossed) like Steg ill be making it from the ground up and prob get a few grey hairs!

<< Goals >>

• Build a walker using tripod gate motion
  • Able to move in all directions Control by remote > r/c
  • Gain more hands on xp for bigger complex projects
  • Able for wet/dry and rough/smooth terrain

Leg layout and frame design

having the gears to tight seems to cause too much friction and too loose adds the danger of gear slips. This way worked just nicely for me.

It also allowed me to work out which directions the gears would move so that i could make sure all legs move in the right way and not lock up, a chain and sprocket method would have been ideal here but i went with the cheeper choice.

Glued in with super glue and then reinforced  with thick over night drying glue, weights  added down to give a better bond. 

These parts will make up the 2 main side  walls  of robots frame allowing the gear  chain to be  connected to the gearboxes.

Main robot frame

Made from bolster wood and match sticks to keep the weight down as much as possible

Gearboxes

My 2 homemade 3v gearboxes, primed and greased!

Leg cranks

Decided to again make the cranks myself, it worked out better as the retainers were able to be more secure and fit in snug. Took my time on these as they need to be very secure, used matchsticks and a combo or fast and slow dry glow with clamps.

2 made for each leg, so 12 made in total, retainers glued in placed for a solid rotation.

walks/runs in all directions, r/c control

• Control method: Radio controlled
  • Power source: 4 AA batteries
  • Target environment: indoor and outdoor
LikedLike this to see more

Spread the word

Flag this post

Thanks for helping to keep our community civil!

Notify staff privately
It's Spam
This post is an advertisement, or vandalism. It is not useful or relevant to the current topic.

You flagged this as spam. Undo flag.Flag Post