Automata Pilgrim 7000-like robot head

Posted on 15/10/2015 by dickel
Modified on: 13/09/2018
Project
Press to mark as completed
Introduction
This is an automatic import from our previous community platform. Some things can look imperfect.

If you are the original author, please access your User Control Panel and update it.

UPDATE @ December 6, 2015      Just finished the painting details.        The servo motors are TowerPro MG995, controlled by an Arduino board (simple servo "sweep" sequences).                  UPDATE @ November 28, 2015      Hello guys!      Just mounted today the servo motors and made a simple code... and here is (see the video)!!!               ...

Automata Pilgrim 7000-like robot head

UPDATE @ December 6, 2015

Just finished the painting details.

The servo motors are TowerPro MG995, controlled by an Arduino board (simple servo "sweep" sequences).

UPDATE @ November 28, 2015

Hello guys!

Just mounted today the servo motors and made a simple code... and here is (see the video)!!!

UPDATE @ November 22, 2015

Hi guys!

Just finished the aesthetic parts of the head. See below.

Mouth and ears grills made with toothpicks.

The paint job is almost done.

I also made the stand.

To do next: finish painting details; attach servos and electronics; LED eyes.

UPDATE @ October 24, 2015 (part 2)

Hello guys!

I have just finished the covering of the head with the polystyrene (high impact polystyrene) pieces.

I still have a lot of work to do!

Note: The updates will be at the top of the page, so the newest video will be also.

FIRST POST @ October 15, 2015 (part 1)

As I said before: "Movies can be a great source of inspiration for our projects."

Well... I keep watching movies, so I keep inspiring me. I'd better stop watching movies... I'm wanting to make all I see! heheh

The movie was Automata [1] (check out the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3zTb_Zu8DU). I haven't watched the whole movie, so I don't have much to say about it. But a robot really inspired me...

The next day I started thinking how I would make that head. I thought to start with Pepakura because I figured it would be easy to find an ideal head model to work with. Indeed, I easily found a good model after some Googling [2].

It looked good because it don't have ears, mouth, eyes, nose... and appears to have the ideal format.

As I just need the top of the head, I set some cutoffs and the eyes.

With a Christmas tree ball cut in half I made the cavities of the eyes. Put it in place with hot glue.

Sebastian highly involved in this project. :)

Fiberglass time!

Body filler time!

And here is how it looks after body filler, sanding, body filler, sanding, spray primer.

The head is formed by multiple small segments. First I thought to carve them in the body filler. I ended up deciding to make them with polystyrene (high impact polystyrene) pieces.

I initially drew the segments directly in the head, based on some images from web and movie scenes.

I used hot iron to bend/mold the pieces. Attach them with instant adhesive.

This project will be more artistic, but still robotics related... the obvious (it's a robot head, heheh), but also because it will make some movements with servo motors controlled by Arduino.

I intend to make it mimic the movements of my head, but without face tracking or something similar... just with Arduino and some sensors... let's see...

Notes:

1. Those who intend to work with fiberglass should use appropriate personal protective equipment.

2. The video shows some more images and some more notes.

References:

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automata_(film) - Automata (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. http://ikkakuro.deviantart.com/art/Helmet-Base-Pepakura-243102849 - Helmet Base Pepakura by ikkakuro on DeviantArt

LikedLike this to see more

Spread the word

Flag this post

Thanks for helping to keep our community civil!

Notify staff privately
It's Spam
This post is an advertisement, or vandalism. It is not useful or relevant to the current topic.

You flagged this as spam. Undo flag.Flag Post