6WD All Terrain Inspection Robot
This time I decided to build remote controlled 6WD robot that can operate in rough terrain. Thanks to the image from the camera you can control the robot even if it is out of sight. This feature allows the robot operator to perform remote inspection tasks in areas that are difficult to access: tunnels and pipes or are dangerous for humans: chemically contaminated places, buildings threatening to collapse etc.
- External dimensions (LxWxH): 405x340x220 mm - robot prepared for transport
- Total weight: 6.5 kg
- Ground clearance: 45 mm
Parts needed in this project:
- High Torque Gear Reducer DC Motor 12V 180RPM x6
- Motor Driver BTS7960B x2
- 6mm Hex DC Gear Motor Connector x6
- Emergency Stop Switch x1
- Stainless Steel Power Push Button Switch x2
- 11.1V 5500mAh 3S 45C Lipo Battery x2
- Arduino mega 2560 x1
- Wheel Rim & Tires HSP 1:10 Monster Truck x2
- Micro USB Board x1
- VL53L0X Laser ToF Sensor x1
Control and Preview:
- FrSky TARANIS Q X7 2.4GHz 7CH Transmitter x1
- FrSky V8FR-II 2.4GHz Receiver x1
- Eachine LCD5802D FPV Monitor with DVR x1
Chassis of the robot is made entirely from aluminum and duralumin. In this project I used 6 Monster Truck wheels with a diameter of 125 mm which makes it easy to overcome small obstacles. The robot is driven by 6 high-power 12 V brushed DC motors (180 RPM, 27 kg-cm) with metal gears.
The main controller in this electronic system is Arduino Mega 2560. To be able to control six motors I used two BTS7960B Motor Drivers (H-Bridges). Three motors on each side are connected to one motor driver. Each of the Motor Driver can be loaded by the current up to 43A that gives a sufficient margin of power even for the mobile robot moving over rough terrain. The electronic system is equipped with two power sources (LiPo battery 11.1V, 5500 mAh x2).
More details about this project can be found on this blog.
Check out my other projects related to robotics, just visit: