PS2 Control of A-POD

Hi Zenta, Others speaking. :stuck_out_tongue:

My name is Riley and I’ll pretty much be taking over James’ duties, starting with this project. I’ve been following along for a while now, so I think I’m up to speed on the whole thing. I’ll post if I’m lost about something though.
It looks like the last zip file contains the .prj file, but not the rest of the actual code! Post up the rest of the code (or tell me how wrong I am) and I’ll get to testing it here straight away.

Hi Riley,

So, you are new at Lynxmotion? Welcome to the forum! :smiley:
I’m sorry about the empty zipfile. This should be fine though.
APod_PS2.zip (26.8 KB)

Good luck in making this creature moving! Let me know if you got any Q’s.

[size=200]IT WORKS!!![/size]

:open_mouth:

Hi Riley,

Welcome! :slight_smile: You probably have seen my name pop up every now and then. Feel free if you ever have some questions about my work. I’m not always the quickest in answering so pm me if you’re in a hurry. Good to see LM gets more support!

Is James still onboard or is he focusing on other stuff?

Jim, Gratz with your walking A-Pod!

Xan

James is moving on to school and other adventures. Still here for a while longer. :slight_smile:

Good to hear James is still onboard! School is imported to though :slight_smile:

I’m pleased to hear you got it working! :smiley: Did you test the mandibles and checked your FSR readings on the terminal? Have fun!

The FSR had to be rewired cause it broke. :frowning:

Soon though!

This thing is a monster!

Oh, sorry to hear that. Yeah, it is a cute little beer fetching monster… :laughing:

Ok. Quick update. The FSR was broken, but I’ve replaced that. One of the leg servos was going out which was giving me some trouble. Turns out that the SSC-32 pin was was only somewhat working. Swapped it to a different pin and now it works wonderfully. :smiley:

I’ve been commanded to shoot a video, but I might not actually be able to post it until tomorrow. We’ll see.

Yeah :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

We got sort of sidetracked with the PS2 arm control code problem. Video is delayed till next week. I have noticed that the legs can touch each other. Probably due to the longer coxa offset we used. Probably need to restrict the horizontal range a little.

Also the mandible control is awesome and works perfectly. The overall control appears to be pretty intuitive, Riley was able to control the bot to pick up a water bottle and walk around with it with ease! 8)

This should not happen unless you are talking about sudden large changes from the controller. In normal operation they shouldn’t touch each other. Are you sure you’ve changed all values in the cfg file, e.g. the coxa length? The travel-length should be the same on both robots. This mean that if your coxa length is longer the IK math would take this in consideration. Also check that the front and rear coxa are calibrated correctly (45 deg). I don’t think the body dimensions or the leg width are that different between the two A-Pods.

That’s great! So, did the FSR torque control work fine? I’ve been amazed more than one time for how much load it can handle, sounds like you’ve fun! :smiley:

Yes! It was very useful, as I didn’t have to spend the whole time making sure the servos weren’t straining. It applied sufficient torque to lift the bottle, and that’s it. Very nice! :smiley:
I saw that you’ve included the ability to increase or lower the amount the mandibles would grip. The bottle was nearly empty, so I didn’t need to mess with these at all. I suspect that you would need to increase the setting to lift a full one, but I don’t think that it would be a problem. Next time I mess with the robot, I’ll not use the bottle I’ve been drinking out of! :stuck_out_tongue:

It sounds like your FSR readings are similar to mine. Did you also monitor the values? At default its set to medium torque and that should be sufficient to hold an empty bottle. Looking forward to your video!

I also look forward to seeing the video. I also think it would be great to post it in the public forum, to get more people excited about being almost ready to start shipping the A-Pod as a kit. :slight_smile:

Kurt

Hi,

I was looking at your PS-2 tutorial.

The two D-Pad functions in rotation mode was left out in your table 17 (PS2 Controls):

; - D-Pad left Slower but more accurate indirect control ; - D-Pad right Faster respons on indirect control

In your Step 17 text I recommend to point out that in rotation mode there are three different control methods for head and body.

Beside that it looks good! :smiley:

Thank you Kåre! I will get Riley on it asap.