Onboard PC based Johnny 5

I want to hear him say “No disassemble!” :laughing:

Ha, I just watched that movie last night, it is sooo badly done but still funny!

Post 666 !!!

creepy…

ya me too J5 was soo funny driving a van lol :laughing:

i love your j5 project and ordered the parts for mine,i have used the pico-itx board before, also hope to build a large scale johnny five like in my favorate movies soon

Just a quick picture for fun, showing the difference between the stock model and my own:

img513.imageshack.us/img513/1922/comparisonps5.th.jpg

He’s definitely been hitting the Gym~

Yep :open_mouth: He looks like (since he’s kinda backwards) like Gangster style :laughing: With sunglasses it would be…

Here’s a music video I made while I was practicing head movement to give him more natural speaking gestures.

youtube.com/watch?v=ALNptKai_Dc

(Slight language warning, PG-13ish I’d say :laughing: )

Hey Tyberius, awesome vid! The song synced with the movements quite well, you sure have made alot of progress to this bot!

MY GODD!!! That was awesome!!! So funny :laughing:

Good job!

:open_mouth: very cool Tyb. although his material could use some work :wink: lol JK :laughing:

Just an update- I demo’d J5 at the Trossen Robotics Booth at Robogames 2008 all weekend long. Here’s a quick video of J5 interacting with a few people

youtube.com/watch?v=GfMCaaePFBw

(Yeah I know, weird music lol)

VIA (maker of the Pico-ITX) wrote up an article about this project also, blogged here at Trossen Robotics: blog.trossenrobotics.com/index.p … interview/

Direct link to the article:

viaarena.com/default.aspx?Pa … icleID=557

Blew my mind watching a Storm Trooper play with J5! lol

Yar, I had fun with that too. Funny enough- thats the pic youtube picked for the video too.

Yep, the storm trooper part was really funny, but also, if someone walks in with a red shirt, then it will track the red shirt regardless, because you have roborealm doing the demo that is already in it, which just makes the rgb filter, then blobs the biggest part.

Very nice progress on the bot, but may I ask, where do you all get the funding for your bots? Companies sponser them, grants, or what? Because I am also pretty low on money, hell, I am still using a BS2 and the 2X5 sabertooth.

Yeah I was using the red shirt thing to my advantage, had two different scripts I was switching between, red tracking and green tracking. Day 1 everyones wrist bands were green, so I’d switch it to that whenever someone was nearby. Would switch to red when someone with a red shirt walked by… etc.

A lot of my stuff is funded from my own pocket, I also have a sponsorship on my J5 project from Trossen Robotics though.

Very nice :smiley:
So you basically have object tracking of almost any color if you add more colors to it.

How did you get them to sponsor your robot? Did you have to build some less complex bot to let people see that you are capable of them? Because I am building one right now, hoping to get a gift certificate from Trossen Robotics from winning a contest of some kind. Only problem now is money, but also the main problem is the fact that I am under 18, so I cannot legally enter much contests, and also probably not the Trossen Robotics one either.

I don’t think they limit it to 18 or older, I’ve never seen that brought up.

Yes, I can track various colors and change what its tracking pretty much on the fly.

I will say, Trossen doesnt just hand out sponsorships left and right, I had a good amount done on my J5 when they approached me, and it was also in conjunction to a PR project with VIA Technologies as I was using their pico itx board. Bottom line, special circumstances.

IMO my advice to you is to enter some contests around the net (instructables has them too I believe?) and hope for the best. Good luck!

Tyberius,

How are you interfacing to the Sabertooth, is it via the SSC32, Roborealm or directly from a PC serial port?

I need to make myself a PC GUI to directly control the Sabertooth and was just checking around to see if anyone else had done it previously. (except Roborealm)

Thanks

I just interface it to the SSC-32, and control the motors just like servos.