MILO

Milo

Huge project…huge accomplishment.  I love to see all the inside pics.  Fascinating.  Well done.

Any plans for more software / sensors?

This is excellent work.

This is excellent work.  I’m impressed how you made your own articulated fingers.

|x

The face/color pattern reminded me of this guy

Track Design

Very cool! Always nice to see large upright bots like this. I can see the vast amounts of work that went into this. I am impressed by what you were able to accomplish with wood.

I have to ask, what did you use for the tracks. Were they a kit, fabed or printed?

Milo Video

Thanks for the interest.  I will post a video as soon as I have something decent to show.

Milo

Thank you for the kind words.  I have all kinds of ideas for other sensors and software improvements.  However, these ideas often come into conflict with my bank account and work obligations. My next big step is making some quad encoders for all the motors under control, so I can begin to work with more accurate positioning and speeds.

Milo / Retro

Thank you for your kind words.  Yes, I was going for a kind of “retro” vibe with the paint scheme.  Something like what the “future” looked like in the 1950’s.

Milo Tracks

Thank you for the kind words of encouragment.  Everyone has been so positive.

Milo’s tracks are made from REXNORD roller chain for conveyor belts.  They are schedule 60, stainless steel, and weigh about 13 million pounds. (that’s what they feel like when you drop a segment on your foot)

I got short segments cheap on eBay.  I then glued rubber pads to the stainless steel plate for traction.

I have posted additional photos which I hope will help you to understand how I made them.

Beautiful work!I like your

Beautiful work!

I like your style, man! Pure DIY work!

The head, the new fingers/hands, that tracks… wow! Many details, and all performed in a brilliant/excellent manner.

Your work with plywood is also brilliant. And the write-up is a pleasure itself.

Can’t wait to see more!

Thanks

Thank you for the compliments.  I also find your DIY skills impressive, with your lineage of MDi#4, MDi#3 and earlier 'bots.

Dear SirWhat A huge robot !

Dear Sir

What A huge robot ! how much total weight and height of this robot ?

==========================

quote: "For the arms to be detachable, all the motors that drive the shoulder lift, elbow lift, wrist rotation and gripper open should be on the arm itself"

What’s the motor ? I didn’t see any servo here

==========================

Great Project

Brilliant work, Rebel_Ace… I’ve got to say I admire your attention to detail in every aspect of production. Do you have any plans on releasing the .NET source code at all?

Cheers

Height, Weight and Arm Motors

As mentioned above, MILO stands about 5 feet, 4 inches, and weighs about 300 pounds.

The motors MILO uses are large electric motors that are surplus items from either the automotive market or the electric scooter market or garage door lift market.  In the case of the actions of Shoulder Lift, Elbow Bending and Gripper Open/Close, the motors are NOT where the joints are.  The mechanical force is conveyed by steel cables.  I showed photos in various stages of assembly, so you can’t see the cables or motors in some cases.  Since the arms are directly taken from the old “Scout Bot” build, you can watch this video of the arms being tested under manual control.  Video of Arm Movement

Source Code

Thanks for the compliments.  Taken as a whole, my source code is something of a psychotic mess.  As far as releasing any code, I would probably show individual routines or snippets that do something worthwhile or interesting.  That way, for folks coding in other platforms, they would not be overwhelmed by all the Dot Net overhead coding that might not be immediately germaine to the task being done.  At some point I was going to write something up about the “Face Detection / Face Tracking” routines.  Since I just ordered a baker’s dozen sweet new rotational encoders, I will be doing some mechanical re-work, and re-writing some of the motion control routines to take advantage of the capabilities of the new encoders.  When I am done with that, perhaps I’ll show some of the code for review and critique.

awesome. I love this huge

awesome. I love this huge robot !

the finger looks cool. I'm waiting for the finger

Nice!

Very nice work & well documented.

Thank you for the kind words.

Thank you for the kind words.

Wow.

I read about that very nice hardware build and was wondering if the programming was on the same level…
… and then you blew me away with a really nice remote console and even a interactive 3D model! ^^ 

Thank you

Thank you for the kind words.  I checked out your Ping Pong ball “juggler”, and was very impressed with its “evolution”.

In particular, I was completely geeked over the iteration where you experimented with sound to locate the position of the ball.  Outstanding, and something I probably would never have considered.  Very, very clever.

Woww!!

Just signed up to this website and yours was the first project I came across. Needless to say if this is the standard of other project on this site, I have much to catch up (just a beginner).

Thank you for such detailed description of the work and the effort that went into making this robot.

I am sure to be interested in more updates that come from your side. All the very best for future projects too. Once again a very professionally executed project and it deserves a pat on your back.

Inspiring Projects

Rramesh,

If you really want to see inspiring, high quality projects on this site, be sure to check out these other pages:

Dickel’s Amazing MDi #4
Antonb’s PhD project MTR
Unix_Guru’s Mars Rover
Nixon_Files’ Movies come to Life
Steelsquid’s Squidscout

And too many more to list here.
This site has robots on Wheels, Tracks, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8 Legs, robots that swim, fly and slither.

From all around the world.  You’re going to love it here.

Welcome to LMR!