Mech Warfare

Hi all,

Need to build a flame thrower for Mech Warfare style robot.

Anyone have experience with model flame throwers?

Plans, component sources, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
TCIII

Hi Tyberius,

Your massive mech is awesome! Beautiful craftsmanship!! It already scares the hell of me and it even doesn’t have guns at the time. The thing is HUGE!

I bet it’s got enough power to load it with a tons of fire power.

Xan

oh dear god am I ever happy I stumbeled into this thread.

Quick question for ya, ever think about the possibilities of using a steel battalion controller for controlling one of these?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion

Just throwing it out there.

I would imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult, however I’m using a Bluetooth PS3 controller due to it being easily paired with the bluetooth on my Gumstix.

Here’s an update, guns still need painting and mounting finished, still needs armor as well.

just curious but do you actually have that walking yet? there are a couple things that seem like they would present a serious challenge to this being an effective combat design. in particular your CG is way way way up in the air, it has a fairly wide stance, and really small foot profile. it you got it working then great of course, but just looking at it from 100 feet out the design approach seems counter intuitive and more aimed at asthetics than functional operation. :confused:

Tyberius,

Can you show how you cut down the air soft submachine guns to fit your robot chassis?

Regards,
TCIII

Its built around Jon Hylands’ Microraptor, both he and I have built AX-12 based smaller versions of this same leg design and it works rather well. We’ve both had it walking and walking well.

It does not use a standard humanoid walking gait, hence the difference in COG placement and wider stance. Feet are actually 5" wide and 7" long, they just appear small due to the perspective. Proportionally they are just about the same size as the bioloid feet. Also, the way its standing in the pictures isn’t a proper stance, the legs are much more upright while walking.

This type of setup would not work well in say, RoboOne style competitions however. Its not intended to take physical hits and relies on a higher COG to walk well.

It was really rather simple, I took them apart to split them in two, removed the innards and cut off the bottom with a bandsaw.

Just for show you may want to get a laser pointer for each airsoft so it can be energized prior to shooting to point the intended target. One can get the small laser pointers at Walmart for $2.49 each.

I’ve got some TTL lasers from Sparkfun I intend on mounting, same concept just very small and flat.

A bit more progress:

Onboard Gumstix running Buildroot linux is online here, standing under its own power.

OMG! This thing is cool! I love the look of the leg folded up, it looks brutally tough. The brackets are incredible, how or who made them? What did you use to design these parts? Alibre?

<-- What he said! Very impressive project and I’ll always be interested in more information and pics when available. Quite inspiring.

I designed all of the brackets in Autodesk Inventor and had them machined at Big Blue Saw (bigbluesaw.com). They used a water jet cnc and brake to cut and bend.

I’m saving the majority of the info for a series of articles I’m writing on the robot for SERVO. Check the upcoming June issue :wink:

I was thinking you could put RC shocks between the joints to help the servos with the weight of the torso assembly. The same way you used an RC shock for your J5 project. This would improve the aesthetics while help the servos a bit. Just a thought.

I considered it but didn’t go that route for two reasons. First, it would limit movement on each joint. Second, these servos are pulling about 1050 oz-in of torque @ 21v, I doubt they need much help.

I realize that standard RC shocks would have a limited stroke, but if you created your own spring dampener assembly, it could have any range of movement you desire. With the length of the legs I would think there would be a lot of bouncing going on.

Those are very strong servos! :open_mouth:

Tyberius,

What version of the aluminum “C” servo brackets did you use to hold the soft air BB guns: The standard or the large, short or long?

Regards,
TCIII

Standard, long. Bent via brake.

Tyberius,

Thanks for the quick response and info. Much appreciated.

I am building a 4WD rover that will have twin Air Soft BB guns mounted on a turret that can move in AZ and EL. We have a lot of rabid sunks in North Texas and I will use the rover to drive them off without having to kill them.

Regards,
TCIII