How to Make a Robot - Lesson 7: Using Sensors

hello sir, I want to make a human following robot can u please assist me with the sensors and one more thing that the robot should follow the exact person. It should be able to work seamlessly in crowd too. For that I am thinking of using GPS or Bluetooth Sensor.

@Shubham Prasad You will need something on the person to be followed, as well as an array of sensors since it will be in a public place. In terms of the sensor to mount on the person, it can be a combination of GPS and IR. You will need many distance sensors around the robot itself. Bluetooth is a communication method and won’t help give location or direction.

Hello Coleman, I’ve been stuck on an idea and can’t seem to shake it. What I want to do is build a robot that would simulate a defender (for basketball and other sporting applications) and basically stay in front of a human by tracking its movement but also follow the human should it move out of a preset range. What sort of sensors should I use? I feel as though I’m constantly swaying between different designs and not sure which to stick with. Vision-based using the kinect or pixycam? An array of different sensors (ultrasonic, IR, etc.,) The previous comment above mine you mention having the individual wear a sensor. Could it be so simple? Thanks for your input.

@Jesse Levi Interesting idea. For more design / concept related questions, please create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum - it allows for more discussion.

Hey, my friend and I were thinking of making a robot that can lead blind people and have a sensor attached to their feet or something to keep pace, with wireless ear buds relaying information. Any other idea would be greatly appreciated though, as we are not as experienced as we believe we should be. We’re in Yr 9, but have access to quite a few digital setups and 3d printers and laser cutters. My friend is experienced-ish in digital tech, but our teacher can help us since he’s pretty awesome at it.
What would be a low-cost (under $100) robot plan that would be worthy of winning an Australia-wide comp, despite the makers having no proper experience? (Sasta Oliphant Science Awards)
Any idea is appreciated. We’ve thought up bionic hand (too complicated), water purifier(our plan was a bit far-fetched), an earthquake sensor, or an auto air-con(too common). Most of our other idea, like carbon monoxide detector, alloy balancer, a machine for delicate surgery, mini phone, would be disastrous if they went wrong, so we’re a bit hesitant.
We don’t have much dig experience, but I can relay information quite easily (modest terms for ‘I’m pretty smart’ and he can learn to programme stuff easily, plus we have another creative person possibly wanting to join us), so is there anything that you think would suit us and can be built in a few months with a low budget and school on every week?

Sorry for rambling(I do that quite a lot), and thanks in advance.

@Anon: This is certainly quite a reasonable project to get started with. You may want to consider using a different kind of feedback than auditory, since people who are visually impaired tend to rely heavily on sounds to understand their environment. A good solution in these cases is haptic feedback, usually using a small vibrating motor.
If you want to receive more help, we strongly recommend that you create a new topic on our forum here. In your first post, give a detailed description of your project. If possible, add diagrams, sketches and pictures of what you intend to do and describe how you think you will do it. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for you to receive quality advice. Good luck!

Hy friends,am working on a personal robot project.i call it saso16.it has a gps,visual sensor,preasure sensor,voice regnociation function.bt i want to be able to get these feed on a laptop from the robot.please any idea

@Usiosefe osaze paul Please create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum (with additional details about your project) and we would be happy to help you.

Hi, I would like to know what sensors would be best for my robot. Here are it’s basic qualities:
-The robot needs to turn right or left when it sees an obstruction. It should not crash into the obstruction
-What sensors are appropraite and are also not too complex to program.

@Navein Suresh A simple analog IR distance sensor should work well and is easy to use: https://www.robotshop.com/en/sharp-gp2d12-ir-range-sensor-cable.html

Hi, One part of my robot as a small mop/cleanner. What sensor would be best, so that when the robot touches carpet, the cleaner moves upwards and away, while if the robot touches a hardwood floor, the cleaner comes on and touches the floor. In addition, Mentioned by you in the previous comment, will that infarred sensor be able to detect a hole(were the robot could potentionally falll down), and tell the robot to move away

Sorry for the questions, but I plan on making it start like car. So how would I make the on/off switch just turn on the system without urning on anything else such as motors and cleaners. Then after it is on, I plan on initiated or to make the robot to start its motors and drive by using a clapp signal from my hands. Could this be done by a sound sensor? Once the sound is recgonized will it alert the motor to drive mode.

@Navein Suresh Detecting surface type is not easy; consider measuring the current draw of the motors (carpet is harder to travel on) and regular distance sensors. If there is a distinct difference in reflectance, that might help as well. Consider aspects which make the floors different and see if there are sensors for each characteristic.

@Navein Suresh That will depend entirely on the code. Clapping your hands to make it move means the motors are already connected. When you power the robot, the code should not make the motors turn.

Can any one helpme in coding a Time to digital converter using GP22 using arduino uno

sending configuration ,calibrating measurement ,readinig the results

Is it possible to program the robot to move an object without actually touching the object?

@Marian Odd question; consider magnets, air pressure, static charge. Not sure what you need or why.

I want to know using which technology I can make a robot which starts run when someone touches his hands ??? any idea that what sensors i have to use and anything else

@Jagdish If it can be “any” touch (i.e. does not absolutely need to be human), then a simple push button would work well to execute a stored program.

I love all your lectures. I am interested to teach my students for their robotics subject but I am new in this field. I dont really have the knowledge. Can you help me? Any advice please.