How to Make a Robot - Lesson 5: Choosing a Motor Controller

@Bahar Please create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum and provide details of your project; is it a leg for a small humanoid? a large humanoid? an exoskeleton?

Ok you talked about motor controllers but could you either do a more in depth article on each type of motor controller? Or help me.lol I am trying to build a utility robot for my first one. 4 wheels 2 drill motors, chain drive system for all 4 wheels, I have a skyfly 9 channel r/c and would like to control it like a tank with one stick. There are so many controllers out there that very in price from like $50-$500. I want to buy the right one just can’t get any help. Anyone please “help”

@Chris You need a dual channel DC motor controller which accepts RC input, can accept the drill’s nominal voltage and provide the necessary current. In regards to the current, you’ll need to either measure it, see if it’s discussed in the manual or contact the manufacturer. https://www.robotshop.com/en/rc-motor-controllers.html

Please help me!! I’m doing school’s project. I’m using beagle bone black as microcontroller. What type of motor controller that suitable with Tamiya Double Gearbox ?? The nominal voltage for the tamiya double gearbox is 3V and the stall current is 2.10A. I’m trying to use DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Carrier and L293D. My lecturer said both of them are not suitable. Please help me !!!

@zaiziek As you are finding, the nominal voltage for the Tamiya Twin Motor Gear Box is only 3-4.5V, whereas most DC motor controllers start at 6V and up. We suggest changing the motors to 6V: https://www.robotshop.com/en/brushed-dc-motor-6v-11500rpm.html?product-code=RB-Pol-202
Note that you do not need to choose a motor controller based on stall current - you should choose one which can provide at least 1/4 the stall current continuously (~0.5A in this case). Stall current represents locked shaft burns the motor.

Loving this tutorial. I followed most of your reasoning for choosing the Pololu dual motor controller that you did, but as you pointed out it is discontinued. You advised using a Shield (which I gather attaches to the micro controller, in a similar fashion as the motor controller would [so it’s the motor controller a Shield?]), but didn’t recommend one. I can look for alternative options that meet the voltage range & current requirements, but the other stuff like Serial Interface, and Communications – no idea if what I would pick would be satisfactory. Any suggestions?

@John We actually created a replacement: https://www.robotshop.com/en/dfrobotshop-rover-mobile-robot-shield.html
This allows you to use a 3.7V LiPo, has an onboard dual motor controller, LiPo charger, XBee header, On?Off switch, analog pins broken out, shield stacking, onboard voltage regulator, universal IR receiver…

Please help me working on a school project. Want to understand difference between motion controller and motor controller. I am confused, and trying to understand difference between motor controller (like VFDs) and motion controller. Are VFDs part of broader category of — motor control or motion control?? Please let me know about Static Convertors and which category they belong to — motor control OR motion control…please also explain difference between motion/motor control… please help

Sir ,
I need to control 4 dc motors with a stall current of 4 amperes and no load current of 300 mA , at 6 v … the recommended range is 4V to 6V , can you help me with choosing a motor driver , i would prefer a 4 channel motor driver instead of two dual channel motor drivers .
Thank You

I am from gov.polytechnic jintur. We have an project i.e based on fire fighting robot but we cant understand,which DC motor can we
use for robot wheels. So someone help us?

@Ankit S a motor controller accepts input and acts as intermediate between ths input, the main battery and the motors. A “motion controller” is normally associated with software. We offer “robot controllers” which have both a motor controller and a microcontroller onboard. Perhaps this is what is being referred to as “motion controller”?

@Aashwin Gaur There are not many 4-motor drivers on the market; it would be easier to choose two dual motor controllers. You would only need one which offers 2A continuous current.
https://www.robotshop.com/en/brushed-motor-controllers.html
Ex: https://www.robotshop.com/en/cytron-4-channel-5-26v-3a-brushed-dc-motor-controller.html

@Rushikesh udawant We suggest using DC planetary gear motors with encoders. Regarding torque and RPM, use the following tool to get an idea:

Thx for the lessons they are a great learning tool.

First, many thanks! This is helping a lot! If the motor don’t provide no-load current, only information below. Shoud I take max current = power/voltage? Thanks!

• Operating Voltage (VDC): 24
• Output Power (W): 200
• No-load Current (A): ≤3.6
• Motor Speed ±5% (RPM): 3550
• No-load Output Speed (RPM): 135
• Gear Ratio: 26.25 : 1
• Sound Level (dB(A)): ≤58
• Brake Torque (Nm): ≥33.4
• Gear Motor Rated Torque (Nm): 16.95

@Erica To estimate the current needed to select a motor controller, the no load of 3.6A seems incredibly high, and we would suggest verifying this. If you go by power, 200W/24V = 8.3A. Normally the no load current is a small fraction of the loaded current, which is not the case here.

HI I trying to make robot for underfloor inspection. What is the best camera that can used. CUrrently I use raspberry pi but can you recommend if fpv 5.8Ghz TXRX with suitable antennas will be good or better than wi-fi.

@Ravi Your best choice is actually a wired (not wireless) camera since wireless signals have difficulty penetrating floors / concrete etc.

Hi Coleman,I love the robot tutorial.
I was just wondering if a the speed of a motor can be reduced using a the Arduino MEGA 2560. Is is possible to program it to reduce the speed of a motor. Is there also a interegated voltage regulator in this microcontroller

@Navein Suresh The 2560 should not be connected directly to a motor (because its pins cannot provide the current). You can use the MEGA to control the speed of a DC motor via a DC motor controller. There is an integrated regulator for the microcontroller alone.