How to Make a Drone / UAV – Lesson 7: FPV & Long-range

@ogeny denislee You can find our available positions here: https://www.robotshop.com/en/corporate/careers

Sir can i buy a flight controller seperate and install a seperate gps on it and please how much i pay for shipping

@Adeiza j sulayman That’s certainly possible, but ensure the GPS communication protocol is compatible with the flight controller. Shipping will depend on the flight controller and GPS as well as your country.

Hi sir I’ve build a drone my problem here is long range control

@Al- Ameen You will need a long-range transmitter / receiver.

How should to live video straming with the help of my quadcopter and how it can be connected to Raspberry pi in order to detect and follow the object.

@mayur, You might want to search online for similar setup but the Pi could use it’s camera port. Then you can have a software for recognition.

Great article! Super informative

Can you change a 5.8 video tx to a 2.4 by simply putting a 2.4(29mm) on ???

@Ronald Martin Not that we’re aware of.

I don’t know of any 1.2-1.3 GHz ISM band. Your Video Transmitters Frequencies and Channels section says it is. Please correct me if I’m wrong… Illegal transmitters from China (or anywhere) that work in that frequency range should not be promoted or used in the US.

@Tom Wiliams: If you have a look at the link to Wikipedia from the article, you will notice for ITU Region 2 that there is a band in this range, the 23 cm band (1240-1300 MHz). As mentioned in this Wikipedia article, this band exists in all three regions to make it convenient for various amateur radio uses, such as RC and its related uses, ATV (amateur TV) and many other activities. You can confirm this by browsing the ARRL website and from the FCC online table of frequency allocation (page 33).
This being said, the 23 cm band is not ISM and therefore we will correct the article concerning this.

Hai, I am haroon and we have to make a drone with arduino. Some buddy have drone program code?

@Haroon Take a look at the MultiWii project - it’s based on Arduino with lots of sample code.

Hello!! Please, which video transmitter and receiver do you recommend to use with a GoPro Hero4 Camera. For a range of about 1 km. Thanks

@Tchabo Paul 500mW transmitter to play it safe https://www.robotshop.com/en/uav-drone-cameras-fpv.html
Ex: https://www.robotshop.com/en/8-channel-500mw-58ghz-wireless-audio-video-transmitter-fpv.html
You would need a compatible receiver, and likely an adapter cable for the GoPro.
Most are rated at 200mW, but achieving 1Km distance reliably might be pushing it.

I’m looking to build a long range camera I can use to spot my own shots. I’d like to place it near my steel targets out to and upwards of a mile away. I’ve been looking around for good ways to do that and it seems the drone community is the closest to what I am looking to do. I came across your awesome instructions here but had a few questions. What frequency should I use for that range? Are they any setups you’ve got that could work for that? Its basically the same thing you are doing on the drone but I have a lot more flexibility with power as I have nearly no weight limitations. Thank you so much for your help.

@ tikityler A normal video transmitter in the 5.8GHz range would be ~200mW (“street legal”). If you go to 500mW or even 1W, the transmission range increases a LOT, but legally speaking, you need a permit to transmit (ex. ham radio license) since you need to be aware of how it might affect other people’s devices. https://www.robotshop.com/en/uav-drone-cameras-fpv.html
Simple setup might be Camera -> Video transmitter (battery to power both) -----> Video receiver operating at the same frequency -> video display

@cbenson What would be the likely max range of one of these street legal ones be? I would be on open ground with line of site to my target. Assuming average conditions as I know that can affect it what would I be looking at? I assume decent ranges considering you can buy drones that you can watch and control from ~1 mile or so away.

Would be interesting to get other’s experiences, but you’d be safe at around 200m from 200mW. Others have gotten 120m max, while some claim 450m. Normally you would do a range test on the ground before you fly.