How to Make a Drone / UAV – Lesson 3: Propulsion

Thanks very much for the article! I’ve been playing around with idea of electrifying some octocopters I’ve been making with my son and would require a very specific set of motors for it to maintain the design of the craft. What I’m looking for is a very low profile motor (height wise). The scale doesn’t really matter, as I could re-print the octocopter in virtually any size, and also have access to CNC (in case I have to modify the motor bell/motor attachments. Would you be able to recommend such a motor/point me in the right direction for further research? Here’s a link to the design: http://yurasklyar.com/multi-purpose-octocopter-mpo-2-cargo-transporter.html. Thank in advance!

How I decided the length of propeller???
Plz suggest me…

@Pooja Always check to see if there are propellers suggested by the motor manufacturer (with thrust data ideally). If not see if you can find similar motors (voltage, Kv, Kt) to get an idea. If that is not available, write to the motor manufacturer and ask for propeller suggestions. If you don’t get a reply, that’s not a good sign. Worst comes to worst, several members of the UAV community have invested in test benches to which they can mount a motor to test with different propellers in order to get thrust data, current draw etc.

i am making drone which can lift 2.7 kg . so total weight will be min 4 kg so how much kv motor should i use ? and propeller size ? please guide me …
thank you

@darshil If we assume you’re making a quadcopter, and the copter’s weight without the payload will be 1.3Kg (including battery, frame, motors, electronics), each motor will need to be able to provide 2Kg of thrust (twice the total weight of the copter). It’s less about Kv and propeller size than about the thrust the motor + propeller combination can provide. Try to find a motor which provides thrust data based on voltage and propeller type and select accordingly. If the manufacturer does not provide this data, sometimes users will perform their own tests and provide results.

Mr Coleman I am in a third world country Uganda. I want to make my own drone but there is no material here in Uganda. How can I get a “Printed Circuit Board” and done some materials: motor; battery; dampeners; LED; propellers
Please help me how can I control my machine can fly in wanted direction

@wamala Richard Building a drone on a budget is not easy, and the price of a small commercial drone is often less than just the flight controller needed for a custom drone. Example:
https://www.robotshop.com/en/hubsan-nano-q4-plus-fpv-quadcopter.html
A custom drone however can easily cost around $250 USD and can crash on the first flight. The flight controller, motors, propellers, ESCs, battery and charger really need to be purchased - you can save only a little bit of money by creating your own frame.

EMAX RS2306 2750KV Special Edition Matte White Bell Brushless Motor 2kg Thrust…is it good for my quadcopter which want to lift 2.7 kg so total weight is 4 kg?..if it is right so please guide me for propeller size and battry size…help me please

@darshil If the max thrust is 2Kg (1762Kg from what we can see online), then four motors give 7-8Kg, which is perfect for a 4Kg quadcopter. There should be data regarding what propeller was used to give that thrust. Please see the section here regarding a battery.

Sir there is not any detail about propeller with motor so please help me that which propeller should I use that will give me 2 kg thrust …motor I selected but for propeller please guide me sir.

@Darshil If the manufacturer indicated that the motor can provide 2Kg of thrust, they really need to indicate what was used to do so, including battery voltage and propeller type. If they do not provide that, you should contact them to ask. We are not aware of any quick method to tell you what propeller to use with a random motor.

Sir, I am making a 8*8 cm mini drone. But after making it does not fly. The motors are just rotating but does not go up

@SHAMSUDHEEN MARAKKAR It sounds like the motors + propellers cannot provide enough thrust for the weight of the drone. You can post photos and specs for the parts you used on the RobotShop Forum and we can provide feedback.

Am really interested in building a drone, but I don’t have control panel, is it possible for me to build it and it will work without control panel

@Wisdom Do you mean a flight controller? If so, you really need one to stabilize the flight.

hi,
i want to build to 5kg payload quadcopter, can you suggest me motors other specification ?
thank you

@tauqeer khan For a copter to have a payload of 5Kg, the copter itself will likely weight around 10Kg (guess), so the motors will need to provide around 30Kg of thrust (around 7.5Kg each). Unfortunately we do not carry any motors which offer that thrust at this time (max ~2Kg).

i want to make home made ESC please tell me sir how low currunt from arduino convert 30A or more as output in ESC please help me with this sir.

@Darshil shah Look up projects like openesc and BLDC motor control.

Dear sir…!
I want to know about thrust of motors …i mean to say if i will used 900kv brushless motor for drone project
And on other side i will using 2000kv motor or more than 200Kv so

Which brushless can lift up more load?
More KV’s can lift more load?
Liw KV’s can lift more Load?