How Do I Interpret DC Motor Specifications?

Hello Mr. Benson, I would like to build a small scale weeder kind of thing which would actually dig surface to remove grass, weed etc., I have the mechanical side built. It weighs about half a kg. I am thinking of buying a DC geared motor the one with yellow rectangle motor. What would be the motor specification for this? Thanks in advance for your rely.

@RCSN We offer a few such motors and the specs are different for each. It’s best to contact us via the RobotShop Forum or support center with the product SKU(s) and we’ll be happy to help. Note that these are small hobby motors with not much torque.

how could i find combined load capacity of 4 dc gear motors with known torque of 2 Nm each???

@AQ The following formula should help: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/drive-motor-sizing-tutorial-3661
You can also work backwards using: https://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/drive-motor-sizing-tool-9698

Thanks really good explanation :slight_smile:

Sir, I am building a e vehicle with BLDC 2.2KW motor rated as 48V and 50A. Now I am planning to go with lithium ion. The controller I use has surge protection it says, Is it sufficient if my battery can supply only the rated current? I mean 50A( maximum continous dicharge of battery) ? And can we use lithium polymer for electric vehicles, Is it good to use?

@Shahul Ideally your main battery should be able to supply a lot more current than what will be consumed under normal use. Surge protection will help, but it’s not an ideal solution. LiPo is common for EVs, but be sure to have a complete, rigid enclosure which is well ventilated. Since it sounds like you’re building an actual car (or similar), it’s good to be in touch with the manufacturers of the batteries and the motor controller to get their input. They are often ready to help and give advice.

Sir, motor speed 2900 And Fan Speed 2450 if Which type of VFD I selected please tell me.And which parameters based I select the VFD.

@Anusha You’re looking at variable frequency drives? These are normally for AC (not used much in hobby robotics). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

sir, i am making a sumo robot of 1 kg for a robotics competition. I just want to know i f i want to push the opponent robot then the dc geared motor of which rpm should i have to use ? And also can u explain the relationship between rpm of the motor and the power drawn by it?

@farzeen There are many factors to sumo robots, of which one is rpm, the other torque, another are the sensors used and then the code. The overall shape will have an impact as well. You would likely use a DC motor, encoder and motor controller. At lower speeds, the motor tends not to be able to provide as much torque as compared to when it’s operating at its rated / max rpm. Some motor manufacturers provide a curve of torque vs. rpm, as well as torque vs current, but unfortunately most do not.

Hello, my name is David, I’m an artist whom tattoos in leather. I have some questions and I hope that you can and will help me, even though these are not relevant with robots, but I don’t know where else to ask them. I’m tweaking a tattoo machine. Motor width: max 24mm. Lenght approx: 32mm (ex shaft/axle)

Q1: If a machine works 8000 rpm @ 12volts, it would be +/- 4000 rpm @ 6volts. But the needle hits softer with less rpm, I think. If the wattage of the motor was higher, say: 10 watt instead of 3W. would the needle hit harder on 4000 rpm @ 6volts?
Q2: Or should I change the voltage on the motor? Use a 6volts, 9volts or a 18 volts motor? Which would give a harder hit/bigger torque at 4000rpm?
Q3: Which motor would you recommend? Well I hope you can help in my quest and hope to hear from you soon. With kind regards,
David.

@David Pents We’d be happy to help, but since this might involve some back and forth - can you create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum? Thanks. We have truncated your post here.

Sir…Im going to design a stair climbing robot using rocker bogie mechanism with 6 wheels.Im also going to use 12v dc geared motor with 30rpm for each wheels.
I want to know is it enough to carry a load of 5kg for 6 motors in steps without problem.

@ponraj The motor’s torque as well as the grip of the wheels on the stair, and the dimensions of the rocker-bogie will play the most important roles. RPM and voltage are secondary. For each step, the rear four wheels will push the front two against the stair, adding to the friction. If you really want to know if it will support 5Kg, you have quite a few equations and calculations to go through.

I have a Old Servo Motor with serial port and feedback connector, can you please help me how to use the motor, I need a high speed motor with good power, can i use this motor.

@Ramu Create a new post on the RobotShop Forum with as many details and images as you can. We’d need to know the brand, model, connector etc.

I’m trying to design a linear motion actuator which will have 10 kg pulley attached to it…this pulley needs to be moving front and back at variable speeds… I’m trying to use 12v DC motor…how to select a proper motor with given requirements…I’m novice in this…this is my first project and ur help would be much useful

@Vignesh R Would need to see a sketch or drawing explaining the motion. Can you create a new post on the RobotShop Forum and provide as many details as possible?

Very Informative post. Thanks for sharing.