First Robot build Octopod

OK, two hours is not bad!

I would think you’d need to consider the range of motion, can you get a leg up and onto an 8" (?) step? It would be really impressive to see a hexapod climb stairs!

I have one robot that’s spent the last 20 years “upstairs” as it can’t climb stairs.

What camera(s) are you intending to use?

Alan KM6VV

Range of motion? After i redo these tibia’s yet again (wish i practiced the measure twice cut once) I will be doing the wow i can flip itsself over routine to show off the range of motion for it. With manual posing stairs don’t appear to be an issue. I am still a long ways from the stair climbing right now. But its one of my plans for it. still kicking around the eye stalks etc. after i get the base sensor array controlling it i will be moving on to this. and the OV9653 camera is what i am thinking of going with. But everything for the brain upgrade needs to be planned together.

I plan to push the limits of control with this bot before moving on to the next one.

Not sure how this is going to fly but:

I decided to try something “new” instead of programming my octopod to walk. Why don’t i program it to learn to walk?

Nifty concept?

It’s been done.

imagination-engines.com/robot_brains.htm

Not saying you shouldn’t try it though…

Good that means i can do it! well at least attempt it.

I figured i wasn’t the first thats why i had the quotes.

Hashed out a lot of ideas today. Tomorrow i am going to start the frame works for the code base.

Several researchers have developed “evolution” programs that can over a period of time derive gaits based on reinforcement algorithms. These are all simulated motion (to my knowledge) until the “winner” emerges. Trying on actual hardware with our somewhat delicate R/C servos could be a dangerous (and expensive) way to learn!

But yeah, go for it! And post your results!

Alan KM6VV
P.S. Flying will take a little more time…

Well it Flew by mistake. so new legs are on way to replace those that broke :slight_smile: but the good news is. After burying my nose in some books I am no closer on the AI than when i started. Two thumbs up on that!.

zhanx.net/incoming/ELF/DSC_4207.JPG
zhanx.net/incoming/ELF/DSC_4208.JPG

but i mounted all the sensors etc… Those are pics of it. The new leg part to get it back up and running should be here before the first and i will post a video of it walking then get back to the AI. Also got a new brain on the way with a pair of OV9653’s for the stereo vision.

Too bad! well. should be easy to fix!

Yeah, they’ve been working on AI for 40 some years, and don’t have much to show for it. On the other hand, you can certainly make it autonomous!

Alan KM6VV

just found out the weirdest thing. The black plastic on the sharp ir sensor is conductive. Ground it out helped stabilize my readings a bit. weird…

That’s interesting. Shielding would certainly help! I’ll have to remember that. My sensors have been mounted on metal, so that probably helped.

Alan KM6VV

might be.

a link to remind myself of something i need to do later on.

swarm.cs.virginia.edu/

A swarm of hexapods would be a sight indeed! Thanks for the URL.

Alan KM6VV

a swarm of self replicating octopods would be a better sight.

Ok got some work done…

zhanx.net/incoming/ELF/redlight.jpg
zhanx.net/incoming/ELF/bluelight.jpg
zhanx.net/incoming/ELF/greenlight.jpg

and yes i know bad exposure time on the camera but its the general idea right?

My soldering iron died. Then i stepped on my laptop whats next? A plague?

but work continues, I am stopping and getting a new iron today to finish the boards for the lights and the shift in for the analog. should have them and the leg wiring all done today. One last piece of mail and my legs will be good.

Which means its on to walking. The holidays are over so I can get more done hopefully before the next semester starts in Feb.

Seems that the links are dead

EDIT:
Found your mistake.

zhanx.net/incoming/ELF/redlight.jpg
zhanx.net/incoming/ELF/bluelight.jpg
zhanx.net/incoming/ELF/greenlight.jpg

thanks fixed

ok back up and running with a portable station.

zhanx.net/incoming/tools/station.jpg

you got to cool to get one of these :slight_smile:.

enough talk back to work

Welcome to the Weller club… :wink:

Your Octopod look awesome with the leds! I imagine you could create almost any color with a combination of the three colors.

thanks.

As for the Led’s yes i can. I am using 4 74HC595’s to control the leds with pwm. 1 for each color rgb and one for the grounds. It has a nice color show to it. Need to add 5 wires to it to finish it on the proto board and the lighting is 100% done.

Then on to the legs to make all the wires neat.

youtube.com/watch?v=zX0AAvQiXgA

i would turn off the sound

edit: figured out how to change the audio track, so no more nails on a chalk board.