Control your motors with L293D

Usb gives you 5V at 500mA (i

Usb gives you 5V at 500mA (i guess), it might not be enough to power your motors.
9v little batteries arenā€™t good for motors as well, you can use common RC race packs, or a couple of AAA bateries.

Take a read into the following posts:

Picking Batteries for your Robot
Once youā€™ve decided on batteries, how do you regulate the voltage

Ā 

Ā 

Capacitors?!

Iā€™m planning to use the same H-bridge for a robot (my 1st robot and 1st H-bridge), so Iā€™m very greatful for this istructable. Thanks :slight_smile:

But excuse me for asking a noob question: Are ALL those capacitors (9?) really necesary just to control to DC motors? Or is it because youā€™re using UNREGULATED power? Or some other specific circumstances?

required? No. suggested?
required? No. suggested? yes! They suppress noise and help with the discharge when the magnetic field collapses after the motors are shut off. (Note: In not an EE major so someone may prove me wrong but that is my understanding.)

Wellā€¦

ā€¦Iā€™m quite a noob in these matters but I am aware that one should use caps to stabilize the current flow. But still 9 (!!!) thatā€™s quite a bitā€¦

Here are a few similar setups and they often do use caps, though not allways, and none of them comes close to 9:

www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1255204188

www.me.umn.edu/courses/me2011/robot/technotes/L293/L293.html

itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Labs/DCMotorControl

www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/

akashxav.com/2009/04/18/arduino-l293d-dc-motor/

www.solarbotics.com/projects/circuits/2007/07/circuit-l293d-mini-sumo/

Just to name a few :slight_smile:

Silly meā€¦

Just noticed ā€¦ the 2 large caps are for the voltage regulator. A typical setup.

So weā€™re down to 7 caps which is still quite a lotā€¦

You can build your circuit

You can build your circuit without the caps. But as jklug80 said, they are ment to stabilize voltage spikes.

i get this circuit schematic from the ladyada motor shield. :wink:

Wellā€¦
I was planning to use a cap or two. However 7 seems like a bit of a hassle, so I think Iā€™ll try it with less for starters and see how that goes. Did you start with 7 or is it because you had problems when using less?

I started with just the

I started with just the L293D, the motors and the microcontroller, and it works ok :wink:

I used the caps because they were on the schematic and I wanted to learn how to use them on the h-bridge. I is just a matter of getting used to, now, I canā€™t think in making this circuit without the caps. :slight_smile:

Hmmmā€¦error in the diagram?
It seems that the small caps (0.1uF) are depicted with the symbol for electrolytic caps, but they sure look like ceramic caps on the fotos? Correct me if Iā€™m wrong?..

Theyā€™re probably Tantalum

Theyā€™re probably Tantalum caps, judging from the appearance, value and polarisation.

Damnit ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Damnit I think youā€™re right. The 3rd kind I allways forget. Another noob mistake on my part. Man it isnā€™t easy learning electronics. A lot of incomplete or wrong information around. Guess Iā€™ll have to find a better symbol list.

Besides these things look VERY similar to the ceramic ones :expressionless:

No plus sign = ceramics

No plus sign = ceramics probably. Note the plus on the actual electrolytic. Sometimes folks use whatever symbol is handy (in graphics) for the device they have.

It does appear they have a place for caps on the LadyAda Motorshield between ground and motor outputs, but they appear to not be populated. Iā€™d probably omit those 4 too.

Iā€™ll keep that in mind
And the problem with the symbols is that the description I posted above (as well as many others) says the symbol with a plus sign is an ELECTROLYTIC cap. Thatā€™s apparently incorrect. It simply means a POLARIZED cap? Furthermore the ones with no plus could mean both a tantalum or ceramic one, allthough tantalum caps are polarized too? Oh well Iā€™ll get used to it sooner or laterā€¦

Still wondering :expressionless:

HOW can you tell itā€™s a tantalum cap judging from the appearance, value and polarisation?

According to the diagram theyā€™re NOT polarized (tantalums are). The value could be both ceramic and tantalum (or am I wrong?). And the appearences of the two types are extremely similarā€¦

You can also get

You can also get non-polarised electrolytics, which naturally have no (+) sign at all =D

Damnit!!
Youā€™re just saying that to confuse me :smiley:

There are other
There are other non-polarised types too, such as polyester, aluminium foil, green capsā€¦
At the end of the day only a few things really matter for most uses: capacitance, maximum voltage and polarity. Sometimes youā€™ll need to know the equivalent series resistance, leakage rate, or other details but normally you donā€™t worry about them.

To guibot!
Now I gotta know for sure: Are the o.1uF caps tantalum OR ceramic?

Dā€™OH!

"There are other non-polarised types too, such as polyester, aluminium foil, green capsā€¦"

doh.jpeg

L293D for noobs

Just found this tutorial and thought Iā€™d share it. It explains how the L293D works in details so even noobs (like me) canā€™t possibly misunderstand it.

Plus the accent is great :slight_smile: