*Chungas* Tracked Rover

Oh ya, Im sure everyone that sprains their ankle calls it “fun” :confused:

Break a leg :wink:

I’ve typed this all too many times to want to do it again, but these are the basics:]You want your chassis and structural elements to be at ground potential. In the case of a metal chassis, make sure that all of the panels are solidly connected both mechanically and electrically. In a non-metallic chassis, you can make a ground plane by laminating metallic (not fiberglass) window screening to the insides of the panels./:m]
]You want your antenna to be electrically isolated from this ground plane, and as vertical as possible, in as much free air as possible. Straight is good./:m]
]You want your radio’s ground to be common to the chassis ground. this provides a large counterpoise for the antenna to work against, and can do a great deal to improve reception, provided that your antenna is installed properly (see above)./:m]
]You want suppression caps on all motors, and you want to do whatever you can to knock down electrical noise and RF interference. From the receiver’s standpoint, your transmitter’s signal is very quiet, and any noise generated on your bot is very loud. Minimize the electrical noise, and your signal will get through better./:m]
]Your radio receiver is supplied with an antenna of a specific length of wire for a reason - it forms a part of the receiver circuit, and helps the receiver discriminate between signal and noise. The effect may not be as important for a receive-only setup as it is for a transmitter, but every little bit helps, and significantly changing the length of the antenna wire can de-tune the receiver enough that it makes a noticeable difference./:m]

I was just going to say, connecting the antenna to the chassis is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. :wink: But you said it better. 8)

:laughing:

Well, in a spur of energy i had decided to make the front back and top of the rover

since i have no money left, i an just going to make the rest of the rover with the excess steel that i have (onnly reason i was gonna do aluminum was the fact that i did’t want it to be too heavy howevere now that i know the rover can handle 20+ lbs of payload (still havent found max payload yet) im not worried about weight)

atm i am drawing the sides out on the steel and getting ready to cut, ill try and get pictures later, i dont have the camera now :unamused:

also once i finish the front/back/top i am disassembling the rover entirley and finishing the paint, jus tone maybe 2 coats on top of my base coat that is already on there

afterthat im more of less finish with the chassis. i will just need to use chaulking around the edges on the inside of the rover to prevent particles and water from getting in and put some grease around the bearings and motor shafts to prevent water from absolutey destroying them :slight_smile:

and thats about it, oh yea, ill be making all the wires inside look purty and make a larger antanea :smiley:

welp, thats about it for now, once i finish the front and back, i will do some testing outdoors and see what these beast can really do :smiling_imp:

EDIT:

PS. ill also be drilling holes for the track tensioners and putting them in place

Well, i finished the front, and i must admits, its looks…weird :laughing:

i feel linke it should have something other than a flat box front, maybe something at an angle, idk :confused:

working on the back now, then sanding and area of steel away for scorpian to dissapate the heat directly into the steel as a heat sink, then other stuffs :laughing:, painting tonight too iif i can, its 9:30 already x.X

your an hour behind me bud, Its 10:33 here Im affraid :frowning:

Its 9:20 Here…Enough hacking. :laughing:

:imp: :smiling_imp: LUCKY!!!

Guys, please dont spam too much, thats wat most of this thread is, its over a page of going back to school stuff alone. dont reply to this as it will only lead to more spam just keep this in mind and please try not to do it

Well, i finished the front and back, they look pretty good

also took the rover apart tonight (50+ screws :open_mouth:) and im brushing it off, cleaning off the all the particals i can, then tomorrow im sanding the rust off the front and back, sanding the minimal amount of rust off of the rest of the parts and painting them tomorrow with probably 3-4 coats for a thick layer of protection

thats about it, i will then reassemble and go test its out in my back woods and let you guys know how it goes :slight_smile:

Cool! Some updated phots?

ya, we need pics :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

my camera is up at my cabin in NH (hour away) ill try and convince my dad to bring me this weekend, no garunteees though :frowning:

picks up spray paint can for 2nd coatpssst hm, shakes pssssst

out of paint T_T, due to think i think i may combine 2 colors , im not sure yet :confused:, all sanding though adn its adhearring well, ill let you know how it comes out

It lives!!! Hey guys, long time no see :slight_smile:

i finally recently went out and got some paint for the rover and i finished it up. I reassembled it and sealed it so water isn’t able to get in as easily in the outdoor conditions. Heres a pic, i hope you like it :slight_smile:

img2.putfile.com/thumb/11/32218593680.jpg

ZOMG! Rover nudie picture!! Cover your eyes children.

When you gunna put stuff inside of it? :slight_smile:

That thing is a tank! :open_mouth:

Very well done.

Nice to see this coming along so well.

But… I have some questions…
]Where did you get those motors? Goodness!/:m]
]How long are the tracks on the rover?/:m]
]Those are all 6 link idlers?/:m]
]How are the tensioners working?/:m]