BlackWido

Hi Umar,

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it!

Hi Zenta,

If you watch the video at home you could properly turn on the sound to! Don’t try that at work :wink:. You will hear a single beep when I switch gaits.
The gaits that are in there are:

1. 6 steps Ripple
  2. 12 steps Ripple
  3. 9 steps Quadripple (not shown in the video)
  4. 6 steps Tripod
  5. 8 steps Tripod (not shown in the video)

The new gait function allows to chose between 1 or 3 positions in the air to easly switch between 6 or 12 steps ripple and other gaits. I will explain this later on when I post the code.

I send you a email about the Quadripple gait :wink:

Xan

Looks great, I can not wait until you post the code, so I can try it out on my bigger hex…

Again great work!

Kurt

When we first saw it with the sound down we thought that the (video) was sped up. lol This is the fastest I have ever seen a hexapod walk! Great job! :open_mouth: 8)

Thanks for the replies guys! 8)

Hi to all:

First congratulations for your code Xan and Zenta!!! is awesome!!

I have an important sugestion for the more natural move of the body

when you press L1 buton to move body the rigth joistick up down directions dont have anithing programed…
If you put to that keys the (rigth joistick up down+L1) all the body go up or down,

I probe it with the powerpod code on atom basic… but is interesant to include it tho your code.

see see from the 25 second It start doing that I say;

youtube.com/v/LVslOPU8F3s

I dont know how to program it at the moment so I sugest you to include on yours.

thanks

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comments about the code! I’ve seen your video and have to say that it looks very natural when you move and rotate the body at the same time.

I’m willing to change the stick-layout. If I look at the video I see 3 movements at once. Up/down, forward/backward and rotate(twist) the body. I can add up and down to L1 + right stick up/down and rotate to L1 + right stick left/right. That should do the job. 8)

I’m not able to do it right away but I’ll get on to it. Just give me a couple of days :wink:

Xan

yes is that thanks!

Im carefully reading the code… great code… great work… good explantions… Congratulations!

In the next months I want try to put an arm with Tweezer, to the phoenix, with 4 servos. So I will do some modif to this code with your(s) Permission :wink: to move the arm with L1 ant 2 jositicks. if I finish it I will post it for comunity ^^.

I have one sugestion for all phoenix users, I take 6 cells of a battery of a notebook, exaclly 6 cells of:
18650 2400mAh 3.7V SAMSUNG SDI Li-ion Battery Cell
I put 3 cell paralel with other 3 in serial conection, so I have a very compact pack of 7.4V 7200mAh. The Duration of this, if you rest somethimes, can be hours xd!! NOTE: to power the circuit I have another battery off 9.6V 650mAh for electronic. I have the bot board and the SSC integrated on chassis and my home made batery on top so the bot has a form of spider without decoration ^^ .The batteries are on top so I can change it when I want, you can make 3 pack and play all day.

I will take some photos and show you
img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=batqx1.jpg
img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=latsy3.jpg
img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arrhc2.jpg
img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abajohb3.jpg
img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phoetf0.jpg

what do you think?

Hi Joe,

This sounds interesting!
Maybe you should start your own thread and tell us all about your Phoenix project :wink: . The battery part sounds interesting, what are the weight and dimension of the complete pack?

Hi Joe,

I’ve added L1 + right stick for up/down and rotate Y and also added L2 + right stick for up/down. I was very pleased with the result! 8) It’s included in V1.3 which will be released this week.

You are free to change the code as long as you keep it open source :wink: Improvements are also always welcome!

Your battery pack sounds interesting! And I agree with Zenta that you should start your own threat and tell us more about your phoenix!

Xan

Hi Joe, nice pics and video and a clever customization in terms of battery, it’d be good especially when you are playing it with the PS2 :slight_smile:

I am anxiously looking forward to your update on this, since I am myself inclined to the thought of adding a multi DOF arm and a gripper to the bot.

hope to see an update from you soon.

Umar

ok Im going to open a new thread to show my phoenix and my ideas to implement, some of them maybe became true :wink:

Im going to call the proyect … Proyect Phoenix ZERO,

thanks,

Hi Joe,

Great to hear that you want to share your project with us! I will follow your project phoenix ZERO for sure :wink:

just to let you know, V1.3 is mailed so you will be able to try the new controls soon! Let me know if it is what you had in mind :wink:

Xan

Beth has already update the project page with the code and description. 8)

just to let you know, V1.3 is mailed so you will be able to try the new controls soon! Let me know if it is what you had in mind :wink:

Xan

ooo! yes is that!! good job Xan

Im arrived home after 3 days outside and the first thing that I did is to probe the new code!! now phoenix can make fear with some decoration :wink: very good poses!!

I have another idea:

we can do with R1+rigth stick(but carefull with the left stick you can move…) that phoenix up one leg per time to the direction that you pointed with rigth stick+R1, it have to up the leg more up than normal and extend to pose. With that ye can have the terrain adaptation more close… becaus if you can up one leg when you want you can pass some obstacles.
With this control if we go with phoenix forwand push R1 and with the rigth stick make a circle in the direction of th riple movement we can pass a 20cm without problems.

wath do you think? is viable?

ooo! yes is that!! good job Xan

Im arrived home after 3 days outside and the first thing that I did is to probe the new code!! now phoenix can make fear with some decoration :wink: very good poses!!

ops!!! Isee that you included new gaints, is wat I was thinking… to pass obstacles!!! very good work!

I’m glad you like it! It was a good idea to use the other sticks as well :slight_smile:

This should be doable but it is a lot of work. But it needs a lot of precise controlling to get it to work. We’re already working on real terrain adaption with force sensors which is taking up all my time right now but with this we can walk over obstacles by only moving the left stick forwards! Sounds fun doesn’t it :wink:

But don’t let me hold you back, feel free to give it a try and adapt my code yourself!

Xan

BTW: You can edit a previous post by pressing the edit button on the top of your post :wink:

Hi Joe,

I’m not sure if I understood your suggestion completely. But it seems to be a good idea. This sound similar to the “oneleg” balancing I demonstrated in my balance video (after 1:53), but also combined with walking gait? Like a pose shift as I demonstrated in this video? But if you also want to incorporate terrain adaption we do need sensors on the leg as Xan mentioned.

I believe walking over obstacles above 15 cm is a bit tricky with Phoenix, simply because of the length of the tibia and femur.

Hi zenta;

Yes is somethink like that…

Im allways try to walk in diferents terrains, grass, rocks…
But with phoenix code, Im not having good results because it dont lift the legs too more… I have to work in it…

youtube.com/v/LQJqFnFrPTk

Firsr I think we need an another tripod gait who lifts more the legs and have high body position…
Im trying the powerpod code… with another atom basic tha I have… and in bad terrain go well, so I have to start (and learn… this is the best way to learn something^^) programing new gait to move more like a tripod… but lifting more the legs…

to your phoenix one leg control is impresionant… yes is some like that… but read carefull Im going to explain it best I can:

Yes, sensors are goog idea to automatize terrain adaptation… but it can be controled by you…
If we press R1 and on rigth stick one direction, The deepness that we press that direction determines how high the leg have to be possed… so the directions of stick(8 dir, separe their zones in 6 because they are 6 legs). At the same time we can mome forwand and back… and the legs must be move one by one.
For example 15cm upstair I go forwand and when Im near tho upstairs while Im going forwand, I will press R1 and softly the rigth stick in direction of the leg tha we want move, so that leg go up and pose more high than normal because we press that direction softly. After the other leg, other, other, and other…
With this we can have 3D control but is theory… Is hard to program and hard to control…
and I think same, the best way automatize this, is with sensors like Xans says and is more inteligent…

thaks for thinking on it :wink:

Did someone ever dive into the “step up” mode?

I mean to have the hexapod lift his front legs and then walk forward on the 4 other legs so he can step up a higher ground.

Thanx in advance.

Not that I’m aware of.

Should be something fun to try but I think it whould be a sequence. It should be hard to realize doing the calculations on the fly. Maybe once the terrain adaption is fully up and running. Who knows :wink: