Arduino 5 Minute Tutorials: Lesson 7 - Accelerometers, Gyros, IMUs

@Coleman Benson. Could you point me in the right direction to start for the following project that I am thinking about completing. I’m only a very basic amateur in electronics and programming. I’m hoping to build a cube with a different colour on each side, I’m hoping to use an accelerometer, RFduino and a transmitter and receiver to send/receiver the data which will activate a vibration motor in the receiver (or an iphone) a number of times depending on which colour is facing up. Can you help?

@Derek Based on what you describe, you actually seem to know what you’re doing. You need the Arduino, transceiver, 3-axis accelerometer, battery pack, vibrating motor and LEDs. The accelerometer will tell you which one is facing “up”. It’s up to you how you want to arrange the LEDs or choose an EL panel. For more info, please create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum.

@Coleman Benson I am undertaking project about a smart boxing glove. The boxing glove is to measure the strength and speed of each punch during a fight and to keep track of number of punches thrown in real time and be display on a mini screen. Or there should be a display when there is a contact with the glove, could you please point me in the right direction as what material to use.

@Ben Sockono Since the question is more design related, we invite you to create a new topic on the RobotShop Forum (best not to have a lot of comments related to a specific technical question here).

i would like to know more about the implementation and basic concept about accelerometer inside uav

@syafiq How can we help? There are many articles online about the inner workings of MEMS accelerometers / gyros. In a UAV, they help by sensing angular acceleration and linear acceleration.

Which sensor should i use for measuring vibration ? Accelerometer or gyro or imu ?

@kbk If you want to know the amplitude of the vibrations, an IMU is best, and does not cost much more than an accelerometer / gyro.

i want to build a rocket deployment system using gyroscope to trigger servo at a specific angle. can you please help me

@vinas Gyros measure angular acceleration rather than absolute angles. You should use an accelerometer which can measure the gravitational pull of the earth, and as such give you an absolute angle. Most applications involving rockets use both an accelerometer and a gyroscope (called an inertial measurement unit, or IMU).

I’m trying to use an IMU with my arduino uno to measure location and be able to detect a fall. We have parameters that are fall detectors of a person and are trying to input it into our imu code that we got from the arduino site. we are then trying to translate this program to activate a solenoid. is this all possible?

@brookez Certainly. Note that the solenoid might consume too much current than the Arduino’s IO pins can provide - consider using a relay.

@Coleman Benson Mr Benson, can you give me an idea on how to calculate wave velocity, the hardware needed and the connection? Right now i am doing a project to protect the shore’s of an island using a buoy. My idea is to use accelerometer to calculate the speed of the wave. Right now i have an Arduino Uno, GY-621 accelerometer, data telemetry and OSD. Thank you in advance

@Nufail The issue is that, as far as I understand, an object on a wave does not necessarily travel with it at the same velocity. You might consider two “sensor rigs” spaced apart but in contact with each other (they know their distance relative to each other using GPS and can wirelessly communicate with each other) and able to measure the time it takes for waves to raise and lower them. After that, you’ll need to research the formulas needed to calculate velocity of waves based on distance and height etc.

@coleman benson hello we are currently setting up an installation with 2 accelerometers, loudspeakers and 12 pieces of 16volt solenoids, all running in a 50m multicore cable. The sensors are randomly disturbed by strong oscillating signals. I guessone part is a grounding issue, it gets better when the solenoids are off. But not always. Do think it is impossible to get a clear reliable signal in this setup or any other ideas? Thank you

@Robert If you yourself think there is a grounding issue, then worth pursuing. A setup like you described can certainly be accomplished. Suggest posting on the community (RobotShop Forum or letsmakerobots.com) with details, images etc. and describe exactly what happens. It might be programming - hard to tell.

whats the limit for the arduino, regarding the number of accelerometers that can be connected?

i need 100 accelerometers for an specific project. Is it possible to use only one arduino? Or do you guys recommend more?

@portalEA Welcome to the RobotShop Community. Since you’d be using many, it’s easiest to assign them an ID, which is possible using I2C. As such, look up accelerometers with the specs you need an I2C communication. You can connect them all to one I2C bus on the Arduino, but the issue might be the maximum speed of communication. Also, Arduino boards use different microcontrollers and some are faster than others.

https://www.robotshop.com/en/sensors-accelerometers.html

Dear cbenson,
Thanks for this tutorial. Please clear me if I am wrong. Is the Gyro that you’re using, as same as this one? Triple Axis Accelerometer & Gyro Breakout - MPU-6050? Or you’re using any other updated version?

@rpiloverbd You mean the one shown in the image in the lesson? It’s quite old and based on the fact that it’s red, it was likely from Sparkfun. The one you link to uses I2C whereas the one in the image is analog. Honestly not sure which sensor was shown at the time.