Andy's Hex

Very interesting update, even though half of what you said is jiberish to me. :laughing:

Do you have a pic of the gumstix system installed on your hex? I would like to see how you have things setup.

The gumstix isn’t yet installed on the hex. I’ve got to work out some sort of a deck system as I went with the alum chassis.

Heh, I’ve had experience with those “really-commit-the-order-I-actually-want-you-to-send-it-to-me” buttons before.
You’d think that you were launching a hellfire drone, what with all the double-checking some sites do.
Next thing, you’ll need to turn two keys sycnronously.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Anyhow, your whole project revamp sounds really neat.
I’m interested in hearing how good the position/strain feedback from those new Open Servos are.

Since I’d have to pay for an entire new set of servos, when HiTec starts selling the new ones, to get that from my current ones, I’m thinking about jumping onboard.

Those LED’s sound neat, too.
I was thinking about doing adding LED’s to my bot just for fun, but no one makes black ones.
:laughing:

Nick… psst

Sweetness.
:astonished:

Then I shall wait and follow our leader.
:laughing:

The larger motor Open Servos would be amazing, especially if Jim makes SES brackets just for them.
That just opens up so many possibilities.
Perhaps a child-sized biped…
or a normal-sized biped with gobs of power…

The only problem would be powering the beast without weighing it down too much.
Hobby servos draw enough current as it is.
Perhaps LiPos would be necessary.

Does Robo-One have a size limit?

BuilderA: Wow, your robot has huge arms!
BuilderB: Those are his fingers. :smiling_imp:

That depends on which competition it is.
Most competitions that I’ve heard of use the rules that can be found at www.robogames.org/

ugh… that was a lot of soldering. 18 OpenServo boards ready to go!

Now on to cables and connectors

Did you enjoy smelling all that flux? I bet you smelled flux for a few days afterwards huh? :laughing:

yea, I’m pretty sure I’ve got a low level lead poisioning too :unamused:

This is going to be very interesting to see your creation use these things. I look forward to seeing some video of it in the distant future.

Those look neato!
Such tiny tracings.

Sorry, Andy, you’ll get no pity from me.
I love soldering (probably because it’s the only part of electronics that I’m not vastly inept at).
:smiley:

Is it just me, or does that picture make one feel like diving into a swimming pool filled with Open Servo boards.

Niccceeeee - Hey Andy, did you etch all of those yourself? If so, what kit? I’ve never etched before and after reading about the OpenServo project I considered giving it a go. Any suggestions would greatly helpful. Thanks

No they are ExpressPCB. I’ve just gotten setup to do some home etching but haven’t yet tried it. I think my first couple attempts are going to be simpler boards, single sided, no vias. The current OpenServo layout is a tough one by account of the home etchers. Vias under the chip and a few features that are particularly rough for doing at home, but “ginge” (Barry) over at the OpenServo forums has many such successes.

So you used to ExpressPCB huh? So who actually etched and cut the boards then? vendor ? In either case - lots of work in making 18 - well done and thanks for the reply

Chris

ExpressPCB etched them. They have a service called something like “quickboard” which gives you 3 copies of a small panel for something like $60. I had a layout that sqeezed 6 OS boards per panel. Once they arrived (etched and in 3 panels) I cut them up and assembled the components.

Hey Andy,

Which analog servos are you going to use?

:smiling_imp:

Andy,

I have never used ExpressPCB and I was wondeing did you have to cut the outer board dimension? or did ExpressPCB rout each to the desired shape?

I’m going to use HS475s because I have a lot of them already. I’m kind of thinking I’d like to keep the old bot intact. The old bot uses 475s except for the second joints which are 645s. I upgraded them because I was breaking gears fairly often on that second joint. My current working theory is that I can put some current limiting code in the OpenServos to avoid the gear breakage, but if it happens too often, I’ll either scavange from the old bot of buy some more.

The cheap board package from ExpressPCB does not include any routing only the rectangular size selection (about the size of 6 of the boards pictured). Mike Thompson (OpenServo originator) had the foresight to place really large vias as the corners of the boards which serve the dual purpose of acting as guides for where to cut the boards as well as the cutouts for the screws the run through the cover and into the rest of the servo case.

If you have the ExpressPCB software installed, see this file and the layout will be a bit clearer.

I picked up a large throatless sheer from ebay to do my board cutting.

Andy, this has been immensely helpful in helping me understand your successes on this project, of which I hope to accomplish portions of someday myself. Thank you sir and good luck with rest of this endeavour

Chris