1990, new technology (LOL)

Well, do you remember what year you got your first computer and what the specs are?

I know, it was a ATARI130XE with 1.79MHz and 128kB RAM. running with a Datasette/tape cassette player to save and load programs. The OS was the Atari OS. You can find the details here: Atari 130XE

But this is not what I want to tell you. I just browsed Google Books and found this: Popular Science 10/1990

Reading that reminded me how fast time is running.

Here is a screenshot of page 41 (in case you don't want to go there (click the image to enlarge).

1990_cool.jpg

See the price for that bricks :wink: imagine today. Take that money and buy componentsā€¦what you could getā€¦

Ā 

My first computer was an

My first computer was an Amstrad/Schneider CPC664Ā in 1986. It comes with a Z80 CPU running @ 4MHz, 64kB RAM, a 3ā€™ā€™ floppy disk drive (really great) and a green screen. I remember that I wrote my thesis on it using CP/M and Wordstar, but most time we play Bomb Jack :).

VIC 20

I believe it was about 1980-81.Ā  It plugged into a color TV and booted to BASIC.Ā  I still have the computer, tape drive, and I think some game cartridges - I even had a printer but I donā€™t know what became of it.Ā  I havenā€™t fired it up in years, but the manuals are on my bookshelf.Ā  In addition to a friendly no-fail intro to BASIC programming, they include the schematics and a reference for 6502 Assembler mnemonics.

I used to write my own BASIC programs.Ā  I was already into chatbots and AI by then.Ā  The computer magazines of the day would publish BASIC programs line-by-line.Ā  My younger brother would painstakingly type them in.Ā  One that I remember him entering was a pretty decent Centipede knock-off.

My first computer was a Dell

My first computer was a Dell laptop running Windows XP I got as a hand-me-down from my grandpa about 4 years agoā€¦ Iā€™m one of the younger people here :wink:

Our first computerā€¦

In the mid 70ā€™s, my father shipped equipment from the US to holland and built a home computer. It was a model from ā€œthe Digital Groupā€ but I dont know which one. On that machine a took my first steps at basic programming although that didnā€™t amount to much. I was about 7 at the time.Ā 

A few years later we got the TRS-80 model I on which I started to actually learn to make programsā€¦Ā 

I remember we had a subscription to BYTE magazine with advertisements that prized 16K RAM at only $1200,-

Ā 

Thank you al for your

Thank you al for your stories. Reading them gives me a slight idea how old you all are :slight_smile:

I also still remember entering BASIC code from a magazineā€¦it was a pain in the b***ā€¦forgot one cmma and was wondering why the code did not run :wink: Troubleshooting in 400 lines printout with a 9-needle printer with a almost blank ink ribbon on low quality paper and find a missed comma was quite challenging at this time.

I brought a Sinclair ZX

I brought a Sinclair ZX Spectrum in the early 80ā€™s.Ā  Used to write animations to illustrate the SCUBA lectures I gave at the BSAC branch I belonged to.

My first computer was in

My first computer was in 1979 and was an Ohio Superboard II - An excellent machine with itā€™s 4KB of program RAM and 1KB video ram (both of which I doubled).Ā  Good BASIC and I learned 6502 assembler programming with it and did a really good ā€˜space invadersā€™ implementation.

I moved on to a BBC model B and learned so much with it due to itā€™s multifarious interfaces. I ended up using them at work and wrote a version of the ā€˜animalā€™ program to allow minimally skilled technicians to diagnose printer and VDU faults on the production line.Ā  At home I built a SPO256-AL2 chip based speech synthesizer interfaced to the parallel port.Ā  A talking computer - WOW!

At some point I bought a Sinclair Spectrum, primarily to learn Z80 coding and absolutely hated the ā€˜dead fleshā€™ keyboard, but after the 6502 machines, 16 bit registers were an absolute luxury.

And then came the IBM XT etc . . .

Couldnā€™t agree more on the

Couldnā€™t agree more on the keyboard of the Spectrum - the first upgrade I did was the full size keyboard - the board of the spectrum fitted inside the keyboard case.

PeteH