LItter Robot smell

I have exactly the same issue. It stinks after a single day !
Never had such an issue with traditional litter boxes before.

How could I make sure there is no gap somewhere that make the smell go out of the litter box ? The drawer look ok and it’s easy to check but what about the globe itself ?

NEED HELP ! I spent 800$ for this and the smell makes me crazy.

Thanks,

1 Like

Hello @Androuffle,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Litter-Robot.

You can empty the globe from the litter then put water inside it to see if there’s any leakage in it or not.

Also, this was a reply from the manufacturer about the smell:

" More often than not, the type/brand of litter makes the biggest difference for odor control. For example, Plant-based litters tend to form looser clumps than alternatives. This can cause condensation in the waste drawer, which causes more odor and corrosion of nearby components.
If you use plant-based litter, we recommend changing the bag and cleaning more frequently. We find the best results from a standard-weight, unscented, clay clumping litter"

Let us know if this helped you fix the issue.

Sincerely,

1 Like

Hello, any news? Did u manage to resolve the problem?

Hi,
i have the same problem. someone resolve this problem? what does the support say about it? my litter is 2 months old, and it started with the bad smell almost immediately. At first I thought it was a sand problem, but I tried several and I didn’t solve it. help me!!!

Hello @stefanonatalie,

Thank you for contacting RobotShop.

Keep your Litter-Robot working (and smelling) like new with these four maintenance reminders:

1. Empty the Waste Drawer when indicated.

Infrared emitters and sensors detect the level of waste in the drawer, and the blue light on the control panel flashes when it’s time to empty. For one average-sized cat, you’ll need to empty the Waste Drawer about once per week, and for two cats, twice every 7-10 days is typical.

To change the drawer liner, simply pull out the drawer, unhook the edges of the liner, and dispose. Then, install a new drawer liner (like our custom-fit, biodegradable drawer liners) by rolling the edges a few times and pushing them into the four tabs (keeping the bag taut at the back).

Any time you affect the weight or placement of the unit (by removing waste, adding litter, cleaning, or moving the unit), press the Reset button to ensure proper function. Press the Reset button when the unit is at the Home position and the control panel displays a solid blue light.

After you change the Waste Drawer liner and push the drawer back into the Base, make sure you haven’t pushed the unit against a wall or into a corner. The Litter-Robot must not be touching any walls for the Cat Sensor to detect your cat and cycle properly.

1. Add litter as needed.

Each time you empty the Waste Drawer, check the Globe and add litter as needed. Add just enough litter to meet the raised Fill Line on the black rubber liner, but be careful not to overfill the Globe.

Don’t forget to press the Reset button when you’re done adding litter.

1. Replace the Carbon Filter and Seal Strips periodically.

Keep the Litter-Robot smelling fresh by trapping unpleasant odors in the Waste Drawer with replacement Carbon Filters and Seal Strips (or buy them together). How frequently you’ll need to replace the filter is up to you (and the number of cats you have); every few months or when you start to notice that the Waste Drawer smells, change the Carbon Filter. You’ll only need to replace the Seal Strips if you notice they are worn flat or peeling, or if you think excess odor is escaping the Base.

1. Keep it clean!

About once every month or so (depending on how frequently the unit is used), give your Litter-Robot a wipe down. A couple times per year, give it a more thorough cleaning.

First, empty all of the litter from the Globe by pressing the Empty button. The Globe will rotate in the opposite direction of a Clean Cycle, allowing the litter to fall through the waste port, into the drawer. Give the Globe a bath with a gentle cleanser, then let it dry completely.

The Base contains the Cat Sensor and electronics, so never submerge or soak the Base—and never use bleach to clean it. Wipe down surfaces with a cloth dampened with disinfectant—and if you use a spray, spray it directly onto a cloth or paper towel away from the Base, so the disinfectant doesn’t get into the electronics.

The Litter-Robot may be an automatic self-cleaning litter box, but it still takes a little maintenance to keep it working and you free from the chore of scooping the litter box. Make sure to empty the Waste Drawer on time and top off the litter, refresh the Carbon Filters and Seal Strips as needed, and take the time to wipe down and clean the Base, Globe, and Bonnet. Devoting a few minutes here and there to ongoing maintenance will keep your Litter-Robot in top shape for years to come.

Best regards,

1 Like

Hi Ebram,
thanks for your reply.
i just followed all 4 raccomandation, but the problem remained.
the problem of bad smell also occurs on the day of cleaning. It is as if the drawer is letting the smell out somewhere.

since my problem seems to be common to others, is it possible that it is a structural problem?

regards,

Stefano

Hello @stefanonatalie,

Thank you for your reply.

We have contacted the manufacturer about this issue and this was their reply:

There is no difference in plastics between the Connect and Non-connect models, and no change to the plastic materials used.
So there should be nothing that has changed that would affect the plastic’s ability to absorb smell.

Maybe this would help:

More often than not, the type/brand of litter makes the biggest difference for odor control. For example, Plant-based litters tend to form looser clumps than alternatives. This can cause condensation in the waste drawer, which causes more odor and corrosion of nearby components.
If you use plant-based litter, we recommend changing the bag and cleaning more frequently. We find the best results from a standard-weight, unscented, clay clumping litter.

Sincerely,

Hi Ebram,
i use “everclean multiple cat” litter. When finisch, i can try to use another type.

Hello @stefanonatalie,

Thank you for your reply.

Very well, and let us know how it goes.

Also, if you have more than 3 cats that are using this Litter-Robot, this could be an issue since its maximum capacity is 2 to 3 cats.

Have a lovely day, stay safe.

Sincerely,

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bad smell from Litter Robot (4)